Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthGeneral Health CareOther - General Health Care · 2 months ago

I need advice on working for care at home ?

I’ve started a new job working for a private company it’s care at home when I first applied for the job I was told you’d get paid £9 and you’ll work between 6am-2pm I said I’m happy to do that a month later I’m now starting I now have a morning call and a back shift ! I thought I was working 6 hours a day now 12-14 hours a day ! I feel miss lead but anyway , I’m working 12-14 hours a day from 6 am and finish at 11 I only get a 1.30 min break at lunch that’s at 4pm then I’m back out by the time I come home it’s 11.30 pm by the time I get dinner and get ready for bed it’s 12.30 - 1 am that’s me only getting 4 hours sleep Then I’m back up again ( would be 5 hours sleep but I need to get up ready and then walk to my clients house ) I’m sore , tired , but I also need the money I can’t concentrate with 4 hours sleep I also need to walk to my clients houses and walk back home I’m on my feet all day moving , changing etc with only a 1.30 min break at 4 pm then I’m back out again what’s your advice about this ? My friends say it’s illegal to be doing that I must have 11 hours before I attend my next shift or atleast 8 hours sleep and due to this caronavirus too I’m afraid for my heath Ive got disability’s I’m full time and have two days off at the weekend 

I don’t think some people understand I applied in aug last year , and have been working 14 hours a day for 5 days , I Also only get paid for what I’ve worked so if someone cancels I don’t get paid ... it’s not becuse I’m working those hours due to carina virus no these are normal work I was told I would work 6 hours a day when I first applied I had never signed anything only my bank details 

• Tavy

You should have been given a contract in the U.K., this is a legal requirement.

They are certainly taking advantage of you.

Many care homes now need staff, so tell them to reduce your hours or you will leave.

Look around in the meantime for another job and make sure you have a contract.

You should have been given a legally binding contract showing what hours you had agreed to and what schedule and pay would be. Read it if you have one and, if you haven't, ask why they never confirmed what was agreed at interview, remind them of what YOU agreed you could do and insist on having an accurate contract.  Care work is notorious for doing this to their employees.  Before you know it you'll be working very many hours, covering for anyone ill, having no lunch break and being wakened in the middle of the night if that's what they choose to do.  Only with a watertight contract - given to you BEFORE the job began - can you get what you thought you were being offered.  Stand up for yourself now or you'll be their slave (on slave wages) for evermore.

Because of the current health problem in UK they will need you to work those house and you are exempt from the 11 hours between shifts and you can check it out on working times directive but tell them you cant do all those hours but don't expect them to do much about it at the moment - think of the money you will be making at £9 per hour

• Racheal2 months agoReport

Those hours are already normal even if there wasn’t caronavirus I would still be working those hours 

i don't know your labor laws but i would advise you to call the labor board and ask them.Also ask them to mail you out a copy of your labor laws.

• Tavy

We don't have a labour board here