3 way switch wiring question ?

I am trying to wire this 3 way switch for a new ceiling fan.    This is how I have it wired and it’s not working.   I tried wiring a regular switch where I connected the black and red wires together then the white wire to the opposite screw on the switch and the fan and light just stayed on constantly and would only switch off with the remote control.     Can someone help with the proper way to wire this please? 

Favorite Answer

Here is an example. Click the link. 

IN THE USA, a normal switch only has two wires. They come from the box that is in the ceiling. You will have to get in the box in the ceiling to see what the red wire is for. Note this means you have to take the fan down to see the wires in the box. You should have a power feed into the box that has black and white , the black is hot and connects to the black wire that goes to the switch box, The white wire from the power feed connects to one of the fan wires, the other wire from the switch connects to the other fan wire. If you have a red wire than it may be only for a separate switch to power a light fixture that is an option on the fan.

• John Alden

A 3 way switch HAS 3 wires