I own a small house... Should I paint it purple?

In my mind it looks like it should look great... the neighborhood I am in is not even slightly bold however. Most of these houses are very similar to each other... almost like one factory made most of them... same color and style. And people are not decorating the exterior of their homes. Most of them do not have flowers, showy trees, yard ornaments etc.

I planted hydrangeas in front of my house. I also have a cherry blossom in front but planted on the opposite... so that the two natural features frame my house.

My mom warns me that a purple tiny house may have a lower resale value. Because it limits interest due to requiring buyers to have a particular interest in a purple house.

But in my mind it appears beautiful with the flowering plants... I think the fact that it is a tiny house... that purple wouldn't be that big of a deal or deal breaker.

Be warned that I am not going that bright, I've seen tiny houses with more intense color contrast. Often using 2 or 3 bright colors. I am not doing that. I am going with light purple and white.

https://live.staticflickr.com/4008/4693508516_5b24... <like this.

I think it's pretty zen.

I won't go with rich bright purple because I am not a fan of it... but also those intense colors are just to much... Not pleasant on the eye, and come off as a small dog would, barking loudly out of inferiority.

I once painted my house purple and the doctor diagnosed my with antidepressants, but i have antidepressantiophobia, so i threw it in his face, he inhaled one of them and died of suffucation, the police still don't know who did it, but was me Wacky Anderson in Portugal, Moita, Alhos Vedros! If you have antidepressantiophobia, don't do it

For what they call a "Painted Lady", as in a Victorian home, purple is a popular color.

Although I don't like the color, you do and that is all that matters. Therefore, go for it!

Luckily, as you say, your house is tiny, so you can opt to repaint if you put it on the market or leave it as is. Because it is tiny, it will not take a great deal of money or effort to repaint by you or the next owner.

If it makes you happy, do it any way that makes your heart smile.

• BlueBerries2 months agoReport

I think I will avoid going with purple... ultimately I do not see myself living here forever. I could repaint it again though... but I think the plants and overall exterior detail will be good enough to express myself. Plus, I could always have purple chairs etc.. ty

Sure--paint is purple. But when you need to sell, repaint it with any color except purple or yellow, or bright colors of any kind. A muted color scheme sells better and faster. As long as you live there and own the place, though, why shouldn't you enjoy the color? 

Around my city we have some genuinely purple houses (think apple barrel: princess purple or  h_t_t_p_s:_/_/ww_w.pan_tone.c_om/color-finder/2592-C !) and generally everybody's cool with it.  Then again we've got artcars and the orange show.  (Generally only in the inner city, the suburbs here, like everywhere else, have no soul.)  These ones coming out with so much negativity are the kind that start the charters for homeowner's associations!

• BlueBerries2 months agoReport

Or is that what you are saying? That mine does not appear for you as it does me?   Tnx for the infor either way!  That's pretty lame on Yahoo's part. 

Sure, if you were DISNEYLAND or GOOFY'S playhouse.  It will help others find the house that is selling the DRUGS as they can use your house as a MARKER.

Why not florescent orange Trim?

. Not that it makes any difference as most houses look black at night...or during a solar eclipse.

• BlueBerries2 months agoReport

He's a troll...from the ghetto is seems like. Who else would associate housing colors as markers for drug purchases?  He could have easily said the house could be used as a marker for people finding their way around...but nope he relates to the drug trade. 

Members of my family have been painting houses since 1879. We have done many fine homes including a Presidential mansion. We NEVER painted a house with purple paint. 

Looks good in Mexico

• elhigh

If you're not restricted by an HOA, go nuts.  It's your place.

It could be the entire neighborhood is just dying for any reason to let itself off the leash.  You could be the trendsetter.

It's your house, paint it any color you like. But your mom's right. When you plan to sell it's not going to help you any.

You may not be allowed if you have a homeowners association.