Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDental · 2 months ago

why do teeth hurt more at night?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Obviously they shouldn’t normally hurt at all.

But many forms of pain are worse overnight. 

There are two major reasons for that:-

The first is that in a quiet bedroom, in darkness, with your eyes closed, there are very few external sensory inputs to occupy your brain. So there’s no distraction from the pain and you notice it far more keenly.

The second is that overnight your dopamine levels fall and first thing in the morning are at their lowest. Low dopamine levels are known to make existing pain feel worse: if you have ever taken a day off sick from school or work because you felt genuinely awful in the morning only to feel a few hours later that you probably didn’t need to take a sick day after all then low dopamine levels first thing in the morning are possibly the reason as a few hours after waking your levels have usually increased. Levels are highest at just about the time you regularly feel the urge to sleep overnight as dopamine has an important role in human sleep regulation.

Those are not the only reasons. Some types of pain can be affected by gravity; so when you’re vertical the weight of the flesh and any pockets of purulant (pus-filled) infection bears downwards through the length of your body, but when sleeping they pass downwards but through the sides, back or front of your body, depending upon your sleep position. That can put pressure on pain nerves which aren’t affected when you are upright. With tooth pain that may also include the pressure of the pillow against the side of your face.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

Teeth angy. they thirst for blood

Source(s): my dentist told me this
  • 2 months ago

I had that same problem after I had a tooth removal. It botherd  me at night for a couple of days. If its pain in the nerve, take 'clove oil' or 'paracetamol' to see if it helps

• W
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

You are probably grinding them in your sleep.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Probably because you have sensitive teeth. You should ask your dentist as he or she would have more knowledge on your specific situation.

• 2 months ago

see a dentist about this 

• 2 months ago

1.Because you don't brush them well enough.

2. You brush them too hard

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

during the day, you are not focusing on the pain.   I use hot water with salt and do a mouthwash with it to reduce the pain.   Do the mouthwash for 3 minutes. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.