Why is this behavior dangerous for a diabetic? ?

My father is a diabetic and I need someone more knowledgeable on the matter to form an argument to explain why this behavior is harmful. 

He is a type 2 diabetic, takes insulin, but is otherwise widely uncontrolled. For dinner tonight, he ate 6 pieces of pizza, 4 small slices of cake, and cream soda. I now hear him eating either chips or Cinnamon Toast Crunch in the kitchen. 

I tried explaining that this wasn’t healthy or ok for his diabetes but he shot back at me that he ‘bottoms out’ almost every night with incredibly low blood sugar so around 2 am has to chug a soda, eat ice cream, etc. Because of this, his rational is he can eat as many sweets as he wants for dinner with insulin since he has low blood sugar in the middle of the night, not high. 

He frequently bottoms out, spends all day in bed, has spells that send him to the hospital, and has peed on himself in public many times. He has nerve damage in his legs/feet and is overweight. Nothing about his lifestyle is healthy. Whenever my mom or I try to tell him this however, he gets very defensive and has even grabbed a snack cake and ate it simply “to show us” out of spite. While he has issues with low blood sugar, he also has high blood sugar often. It fluctuates wildly and he’s inconsistent with taking insulin eating (often not eating till night then consuming everything). 

How can I explain to him what this behavior is causing? 

Your dad needs a reality check and an extensive talk w a Dietitian and an Endocrinologist. He won't listen to you.

Also, I don't know who makes the grocery shopping at home, but given the circumstances, don't have all those foods at home. I have a diabetic at home, we don't have pizza nor cake nor any of those food items.

Source(s): I'm a Dietitian

Sounds like your dad loads up on carbs, takes too much insulin, which causes his low, then "chugs", soda and eats more than he needs to correct the low. And starts the carb loading, insulin chasing circus again.

You can't tell him what he already knows is bad for him. All you, anyone else living in the home, including mom can do is not bring all the snacks into the house. And if you all do/must, lock it up for your own use. If he wants to go out to get crap to eat, great, at least he's getting some exercise. 

You know it is dangerous. You know why. Your mother knows too. Your dad is, frankly, a suicidal asshole and there is nothing you can do about it. Certainly quoting random strangers on the internet won't help. Perhaps he needs to see his doctor on a more regular basis and also see a diabetes educator on a regular basis.