promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 2 months ago

Why do so many people insist on believing that atheism is not a religion?

33 Answers

Relevance
  • Shadow
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

That’s because atheism is not associated with religion in any way. Only uneducated idiots think atheism is a religion. Atheism is the denial of “god” which is a religious character for nut jobs to believe in because they are stupid with no physical evidence to show in their ridiculous “god” claims. That’s because religious nut jobs are delusional and can’t prove their point.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Phil M
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Because they know exactly what the word atheism means.

• Caesar
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Maybe because they got a working brain and they understand that atheism is not a religion the same way theism is not a religion... is pretty easy to grasp the concept... but we understand why you need to hide under anonymous to post your fantasies and lies or trolling

• 2 months ago

For the same reasons we don't think bald is a hair color, abstinence is a sexual position, not going fishing is a hobby, etc.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

It's not a religion. period. A religion has Gods, events, etc.

• 2 months ago

Only ignorant people insist on saying that atheism is a religion. I point in your general direction and whistle. 

• 2 months ago

Inigo Montoya : You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Because we're not idiots like you.

There is a growing trend in this country that needs to be called out, and that is to label any evidence-based belief a religion. Many conservatives now say that belief in man-made climate change is a religion, and Darwinism is a religion, and, of course, atheism, the complete lack of religion, is somehow a religion too, according to the always reliable Encyclopedia Moronica. Now it's a dodge of course, straight out of the grand intellectual tradition of "I know you are, but what am I?" It's a way of saying, "Hey, we all believe in some sort of faith-based malarkey, so let's call it a push." No. No-no-no-no-no. It's not fair that people who can't defend their own nonsense get to create a fake fair-and-balanced argument, the way they do when asserting that evolution and creationism are equally valid. I'm not saying atheists are perfect thinkers; everyone has blind spots. I'm sure there are atheists who think a ponytail looks good on a man, and pineapple belongs on a pizza, and Ayn Rand was an important thinker; but when it comes to religion, we're not two side of the same coin, and you don't get to put your un-Reason up on the same shelf as my Reason. Your stuff has to go over there, on the shelf with Zeus and Thor and the Kraken.- Bill Maher, February 3, 2012

Attachment image
  • 2 months ago

If it were a religion, thered be a text book for it, fundies would meet once a week..and those that preached it would have a tax exemption

• Paul
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Because a religion depends on a specific set of beliefs, not an absence of belief.

• 2 months ago

It is not. The definition of the word is the absence of religious belief. That is not a religion.

• A Yahoo User
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

That's not the definition of the word.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.