Do I need an audio interface for synth keyboard?

I recently bought a Yamaha Mx49 to do some home studio recording and ordered some studio monitors. If I connect the studio monitors directly to the keyboard (which is connected to my computer), am I able to record onto my computer that way? Or do I need to buy an audio interface like a Focusrite and go with that setup in order to record onto my computer?

You probably will be better off with the interface no matter what.  You can connect the keyboard to that and connect the studio monitor speakers (no amp needed despite what one answer said) to the output of the interface.  This will allow you to listen to both the keyboard playing and also playing back what you recorded.

Source(s): pro audio engineer - dankeifer@yahoo.com

Studio monitors are speakers. Speakers can only produce sound and they need an amplifier to power them. You won't get any sound if you hook your studio monitors directly to your computer or your keyboard. You need to hook up your computer's earphone output to an audio input of an amplifier. You can also listen to the sound directly from your computer using earbuds connected to the headphone jack. SO if you do not have an amplifier yet, you can still hear the sound that is coming out of your keyboard.

You can also record music with your computer with sound recording software, or you can get an external recorder that you can hook up to your amplifier. MSRUN makes a MP3 music player that can also record music digitally using an audio cable that costs around $40.

• Daniel K

Pretty much all studio monitors are POWERED these days.  No amp needed - they connect direct to the keyboard.

The MX49 has a MIDI port.  You need a MIDI interface for your computer.  Some audio interfaces (like Focusrite) also have a MIDI interface built in.

The computer doesn't record audio (well it can, but not with MIDI).  The MIDI interface and MIDI software record codes for each note, then play them back through the synth in its own voice.  You CAN record audio with the recorder, and an audio interface can do that too.