Anonymous

Is it true that most people on permanent disability who aren’t visibly disabled are mentally disabled?

Favorite Answer

Nope.

My mom got disability the final years of her life. She had complete renal failure. My dad had MS and got disability. On his good days--fewer and fewer--no one could tell. My father in law's disability was heart-related, but he looked healthy.

So while some people with mental health issues at a disabling level get disability, the fact that you cannot see someone's disability doesn't mean it's mental.

• PAMELA

No, my friend has motor neurone disease, some days he cannot walk but he does not look disabled at all.

No.The  largest number of people receiving benefits get it on account of their circulatory system, i.e. heart disease. Over twice as many as the next category of people.

• A2 months agoReport

I'm on disability because of Seizures that started when I turned 52, I'm 56 now & to see me you would think there's nothing wrong with me, but Doc said I can not return to work & fault with him! But he said an employer would not take that responsibility.

I doubt it. It's more likely to be something like diabetes, I would've thought.

no........................

• Fuhr

Only if it's genetic.  I read it on YA.