Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 7 months ago

Exodus 4:22 is Israel God's firstborn son?

"Then say to Pharaoh, 'This is what the LORD says: Israel is my firstborn son,"

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 months ago
    Favorite Answer

YHVH GOD is making a statement here that Israel belongs to Him and that Pharoah has no say over them. Problem is that Pharoah thinks that he is king and god, now he is shown that he is a vassal and has a 2nd rate kingdom.

• 7 months ago

Jehovah, the brother of Michael, and Gabriel, reigned as Lord during the time of Moses. He was not perfect; Jehovah and Moses actually led the Israelites away from the promised Land: They will never have peace in Canaan.

• TeeM
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

'Firstborn' does not mean 'foremost'

It always has to do with the order of context.

Israel being the firstborn son shows Israel's relationship with Jehovah.When it comes to all the nations that existed at that time, Israel is the first before all the other nations.David is the firstborn of those who are of the line of kings over Israel.(Psalm 89:20) “20 I have found David my servant;. . .27 And I will place him as firstborn, The highest of the kings of the earth. ” The "foremost" of David's line is Jesus.When Jacob adopted Joseph's sons, he place Ephraim as 'firstborn'The first in order over Manasseh(Genesis 48:5, 6) “5 Now your two sons who were born to you in the land of Egypt before I came to you in Egypt are mine. Eʹphra·im and Ma·nasʹseh will become mine just as Reuʹben and Simʹe·on are mine. 6 But the children born to you after them will become yours. They will be called by the name of their brothers in their inheritance.”(Genesis 48:20) “. . .Thus he [Jacob] kept putting Eʹphra·im before Ma·nasʹseh.”In this example, 'firstborn' does denote 'birthright'  but it doesn't mean 'foremost'Trinitarians NEED 'firstborn' to mean 'foremost' because of their interpretation of Col 1:15(Colossians 1:15) “15 He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation;”Here Paul tells us that Jesus is the firstborn of all creation; changing this to 'foremost' doesn't change the meaning  that Jesus is part of creation.True he is the foremost, but he is still part of creation.Paul actually tells us Jesus is the 'foremost' of all creation in vs 18.Col 1:18 He is also head of the body, the church; and He is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, so that He Himself will come to have first place in everything..

• 7 months ago

The word translated "firstborn" was actually used to mean "foremost," not born first, but it was the one that received the largest inheritance.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Justin
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

16"Now the promises were spoken to Abraham and to his seed. He does not say, “And to seeds,” as referring to many, but rather to one, “And to your seed,” that is, Christ." (Galatians 3:16).

14"But may it never be that I would boast, except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world. 15For neither is circumcision anything, nor uncircumcision, but a new creation. 16And those who will walk by this rule, peace and mercy be upon them; upon the Israel of God." (Galatians 6:14-16).

Yes, 'Israel' is GOD's firstborn Son. GOD saw Christ in Israel from the beginning. The nation itself was raised up and maintained so that GOD Himself could arrive through it and then expand 'the Israel of GOD' itself to include members of every ethnicity, class and gender:

26"For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus. 27For all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. 28There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free man, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus. 29And if you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham’s descendants, heirs according to promise." (Galatians 3:26-29). 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.