Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureCultures & GroupsSenior Citizens · 2 months ago

Has anyone in the town you live in been diagnosed with the corona virus?

They have in the town I live in, and now I'm even more scared.

I stay at home all the time, but I do have to go out to get groceries. That's when I fear getting this. I go out for a walk daily but go alone & am not near anyone. It's only the grocery store that scares me. I see people in there with mask & wonder if they have it, or are wearing them thinking it will stop them from getting it. I wore disposable gloves the other day, but I don't have a mask. I notice the mail carriers don't wear gloves, but I think they should. I'm actually fearing mail.

Favorite Answer

Yes, we have over 100 cases in our city, climbing every day.  Only 35 are in hospital, and only 10 of those are in intensive care.

Do NOT be afraid.

Following the standard precautions and you should be okay. Where the precautions are being followed by everyone, they precautions ARE bringing down the number of cases.  It is up to each of us to do our part.

If someone HAS coronavirus, they are NOT supposed to be shopping .. the only place they are allowed to go is directly to the hospital, and even then ONLY if the medical authorities recommend it.  

So most of those masks are people who are panicking and are misinformed and believe the masks will protect them .. only the N95 protects, and then it is only effective for about half an hour and then you need to throw it away.

Gloves are not useful, since covid-19 is not caught THROUGH your skin.  As long as you avoid touching your face until you have gotten home and washed your hands, you should be fine.  The biggest danger with gloves is that the false sense of security might make us slip-up AND touch our face. 

If you can control a situation, you control it and it makes no sense to be worried.  And you CAN partially control your exposure to covid-19.

If you cannot control a situation, it makes no sense to be worried or frightened. In fact these emotions stress your immune system and if you get sick you will get sicker IF you are being worried or frightened.

It will be what it will be. Use your fear ONLY to make sure you take the necessary precautions and take comfort from the fact that your precautions ARE reducing, and perhaps even preventing, catching the coronoavirus.  Stay at home unless totally necessary, and if you MUST go out, then maintain social distance (for reference, this is the length of your bed).

In the meantime, since the only life we CAN live is in THIS moment - and at this moment you are not sick - savor every little thing you do have going on.

As for death, we have no idea when or how we will die, but everyone WILL die sooner or later. If this is the first time you have truly faced this, it can be unsettling, but you will adjust if you don't allow yourself to freak out out it.  Understand that right now you are NOT dying, so don't add worry to the mixture.

In a similar way, life has never BEEN controllable or predictable .. we have just lived in a generally-safe and sheltered life, so our belief that life is safe and predictable was just a delusion. Time to let go of that delusion and learn how to relax into the uncertainty that IS life.

My only concern is that I have cancer, and have a day-patient appointment to have it cut out on April 7th. I have no idea if the hospitals will be overwhelmed by then (such as in Italy or New York City) so I have no idea if this cancer will be removed before it threatens my life.

MY response?  I cannot control this, so I do not waste time worrying about it. When I see tension rising in me, I just talk to it realistically and make myself relax.  It will be whatever it will be.

Be well. Take precautions. Be relaxed .. nothing good is gained by dwelling on and building up fear and worry.

My Grandpa died the other day the doctors said it was the Virus but I don't know for sure he drank a fifth Whiskey a Day for the last 50 years he was 124 Years Old RIP Grandpa. 

• Ann

Yes--hundreds of people. I'm in Dallas, TX.

Yes, several with the virus, one death.

My next door neighbor's dad died of this. Many in Fort Lauderdale,FL. As of 28 March 2020.

• Janet

Spring Break did a LOT to help spread coronavirus. People need to seriously take the recommended precautions.

• Zirp

Questions about the answerer are not allowed on Y!A

Covid-19 is considered lethal for about 2 % of those who get it.

Yes a few people in my municipality and neighbouring ones have died from it

• Terry

Stop trying to be a question nazi, numpty. You are NOT in charge, dense.

Yes, just one person so far where I live.

• Mintee

3 right now... God willing, we will get over this thing soon

• Janet

Not soon. But most of us will get over it.

Washington has confirmed that the Witehouse is infested with Parasites.

• Dimple

Yes. Boston has many cases. Where my parents home is only 1 person has it

15 characters

No. Only 800 people in my state have been tested.