Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 7 days ago

Was I wrong to suggest my friend give his cat back to the humane society?

Hes had this cat for maybe a little over a year. He doesnt abuse it or anything, but hes definitely just not cut out to be a cat owner. He told me that the cats too much, and hes thinking about rehoming her. I suggested he should see if his parents will adopt her, but I guess his parents cats dont like his cat. I also suggested trying to find someone else to adopt the cat. He kind of brushed it off, and then I suggested he take the cat back to the humane society, and that theyd probably be able to adopt the cat out easily, as its young, and healthy. I mean, I kinda feel like an asshole, because it's not gonna like being kept in a cage all the time, but like I said, i dont think it'll have too hard of a time getting adopted.

• patty
    6 days ago

No it is better with someone who cares

• PR
    7 days ago

I agree with the other person, in that many Humane Societies will euthanize the cat, and especially if there are a lot of cats there - it is nearly "kitten season". I saw one BEAUTIFUL, friendly, cuddly cat who was taken to the HS along with her kittens. The kittens were adopted, but when the lady checked back, they told her the cat "got sick", only after one week and they euthanized it.

Take the cat yourself.

Truthfully, some people complain about things like this, but don't really mean it. Hopefully, your friend will just keep the cat. If he can't, he should take it to an animal rescue league (they show pets at pet supply stores). They do not euthanize and work very hard at finding good homes for the animals. 

Other ideas:

-Parents: It takes time for cats to adjust to one another. If the cat is kept in a bathroom or small room for a couple weeks, the other cats may adjust, after all.

-Tips: If your friend is having trouble with the cat, he should post his problems on YA and find the solutions. Sometimes it seems "too much" because the person does't know what to do about a particular thing. In finding the solutions, he may be happy with the cat, after all.

• 7 days ago

He CAN'T rehome it. He doesn't have the right. He HAS to return it.

It's not really your business. But if doesn't want the cat offer to drive him to the shelter to return it.

• mokrie
    7 days ago

The humane society will probably put it to death. Only a no kill shelter keeps them alive for more then a week or two.