Bootie sole problem?

When crocheting around both sides of beginning chain, I always end up with gaping holes running down the center. I've tried to crochet more loosely but it doesn't really help. I am self-taught and hoping someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong.

You need to do a double foundation chain and work a bit tighter, not looser. The double foundation allows you to make neat, tight slipper soles without unsightly holes. Working tighter gives you a much firmer base. Unfortunately I'm on my phone and can't post links, but if you search double foundation chain crochet you'll find bunches of videos and tutorials. There are several different types of double chains and several methods of working them.  My favourite is a simple slip stitch in each chain. So grab a ball of yarn, your hook and do some experimenting. Try a few different ones to find the one that works for you.