Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationCar MakesChevrolet · 2 months ago

Any ideas on what the problem with my driver's door lock is?

I have a 2002 Chevy Trailblazer. It has been immaculately maintained by myself and the previous owner. Today, the something started happening with the lock on the driver's door. I can put the key in but it will not turn in either direction. I can, however, lock and unlock it from inside the car, which leads me to believe that perhaps something got in the keyhole and is preventing the key from locking. Any ideas?

UPDATE: After lubricating the keyhole and letting the lube sit for about 20 minutes, the lock is functioning again. Thank you for your answers.

Favorite Answer

Lube the key slot.  Try a spare key.  No luck, the key barrel is probably worn.

• M.

Squirt some WD-40 into it with the small red tube.  Turn the key back and forth to loosen the dirt/corrosion.  Keep spraying a little more in, to flush the debris out.  It will likely unfreeze and be ok for a while.

Shoot a bunch of PB Blaster into the key slot and let it soak 15 minutes. Then put the key into the lock and gently tap it with a hammer to make sure the key is all the way in. Then gently start turning the key in both directions until it frees up. If the key looks worn try the extra key.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
  • Barry

WD40 will free off sticking locks. I know people swear by graphite but that doesn't penetrate. WD40 will penetrate and protect. Squirt some directly into the lock, wait an hour and it will do the job.

maybe you can hire a mechanic to fix it

It could be the key is worn down.

It could be that the lock needs graphite

It could be the assembly is wearing out - it's gears - they wear out no matter how immaculately the car is maintained. 

• JJ

An old lock might just need some lubrication in order to turn properly. In this event, use some professional lubricant like W-D 40 to get the gears sliding better, then try the key again. If the problem was just debris or rust, lubricant will solve it.