Marissa asked in PetsCats · 7 days ago

When can i start leaving my cat alone after spay surgery?

Its currently the 3rd day, I'm still watching her a lot. I am just wondering if by 4th or 5th day if i can start leaving her home for a little longer since i need to run some errands. I am taking into consideration that this also depends on how well her incision is healing but so far she is doing normal.

• Lauren
    6 days ago

You can put her in a crate to prevent excessive activity or her getting caught on something with an E-collar on but she needs to have an e-collar around her neck, probably provided by your veterinary clinic. Without the e-collar she can get at her incision if she gets bored and open it back up. Even animals that never licked at an incision when you were around can lick at and open up an incision after you leave. Don't ever trust your cat to leave an incision alone! The incision usually looks a lot better by day ten and may be mostly absorbed by then but it depends on the technique that your vet clinic used and what kind of suture they used. 

7 days ago

I have left my kitty’s in one of the larger dog crates when I had to be gone several hours.  Our cats are strange and love it in the nice dark plastic cage (cave) though.  We shove a couple food and water dishes in, the litter box, blanket and pillow and the cat still has room (using the xxxl Dane crate)  

I usually keep an eye on the cats for 7 to ten days depending on how active they were, how active they now are, how sore they appear to be etc.  if I need to be gone several hour and all is going well I pop them in the kennel where they usually curl up and sleep.  i don’t  want to take the chance they hunt or chase someone - dog or cat .... my worst fear is jumping off the counter or dresser and Jumping 3 to 5 feet to the floor popping the stitches open.

When I get home I check the kitty over, give lots of, petting etc and set back into the kennel leaving door open this time, letting the cat decide weather they want to be in or out.

You can call the vet to ask how long to keep the cat quieter.  Our vet usually gives us a week to ten days if all clear Then the stitches come out, it holds

• mokrie
    7 days ago

You'd done good to watch her for healing but cats tend to heal MUCH faster then humans do because they do not have a layer of fat under their hide that takes longer to heal. You can safely leave the cat at home and do your shopping without worry. I should know since I've had at least 6 female cats and 10 males done over the years. Males heal much faster then the females but 3 days is good and you can start to relax a little..

7 days ago

If there is no infection and she appears to be fine. You can leave her alone for AWHILE. Keep female cats indoors until the incision heals (1 week). Do not let your cat out for as long as possible (a week is ideal, 48 hours is the minimum). Restrict cat's activity as much as possible during the first 48 hours after surgery.

7 days ago

I think she'll be fine being left alone for errands if she appears to be doing well.

I would try to leave her someplace where she doesn't have opportunities to jump, though. Especially to high places.