Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 2 months ago

Memory loss or anxiety ?

For about a month now I felt lately that I’m loosing my memory and just feeling “foggy” if that makes sense. However, I suffer from extreme anxiety and tend to have hypochondriac moments, and have been lacking sleep due to stress and life in general. Can severe anxiety cause memory loss or could it be memory related. I’m 21, and overall I very healthy person. Let me know to put my mind at ease or not! Thanks 

Favorite Answer

I don't think you have to worry about anything in terms of having a brain disease like Alzheimer's. 

It has been shown that in your case, most people your age are suffering from the triple whammy of not getting enough sleep, not eating the right foods, and dealing with large amounts of stress. Those three things together can definitely bring about memory loss in someone your age.

Consider all three of these areas, and do your best to control them, whether it be through diet, getting more sleep, or finding ways to de-stress yourself.

You are young and should have the mental capacity to take heed of what people have said on here

I am older and have sleep apnea and COPD. My doctor put me on some anti depressants i took years ago but that isn't working either. I have given up and accept that i will be like this for the rest of my life. Sleep deprivation is half killing me and it deffinately has a part in short term memory loss. Please address it and give yourself a break 

Lack of sleep, and high anxiety leads to poor memory and poor executive functioning (attention and organizational abilities). So yes, it definitively can negatively impact your memory.  

Lack of sleep can indeed cause memory loss. This is temporary, usually--and will end when you can get a full night's rest, or several of them in a row. 

Anxiety and hypochondria can drive out any other thoughts in your head--including memories. That foggy feeling will dissipate after you stop having these moments. Try to stay calm and give your brain something other than this horrible situation to think about by using your hands to do something else--or to accomplish something. 

Try this: in order to lessen your anxiety, take one room in your home and reorganize it completely. Even if you don't like the result.  Just move your furniture, clean out all your old, unwanted items, put them in a box or bag and set them aside--and try to make your environment more peaceful and restful looking. By doing something like this, you allow your mind to wander where it will, and think of other things. And if you do a good job, then your whole living space will be a lot more restful in the end. If it doesn't suit you when you're done, put it all back and try again. 

Exercises like this can really lessen anxiety. A less-cluttered environment can really unclutter your mind, as well. 

Make your bed as soon as you get out of it in the morning, and do it every day--make it a habit. Starting your day with order and neatness can also lessen anxiety and help you think better. 

Little tasks like this are a start to a more ordered and peaceful way of thinking.

• Chanel

If you cannot sleep properly then that could be the cause as tiredness lowers concentration.

Medication can make you forget things also.

You are not alone cos millions of people suffer with anxiety and what works for them may not work for each other.

You have to find out which medication or treatment works best for you.

Best of luck.

• Kelley

Do not fear. Trust in Jesus Christ. Ask God in your head or out loud to come into your life and guide you. Follow God.

Clean the inside of your body/ detox. Do this by decreasing the amount of meat you eat and eating a lot of fruit, berries and melons. Strengtgen/ build body by eating vegetables.

Read the Bible.

See Dr. Morse YouTube videos

• 2 months agoReport

not everyone is religious

Lack of sleep causes memory loss. Sleep is the great cure all for everything. To sleep well you need to learn to relax and switch off. Firstly what are you so anxious about? Is there anything you can do about these things? Write a list of anxieties and possible solutions. Then close your note pad and forget about them. Research says just that. If you write things down it helps you to stop worrying about them. Secondly tell yourself that you must sleep. Read up on ways to relax and experiment with them. A routine will help because your mind and body will associate it with sleep. For example having a hot bath with your favourite shower gel. Maybe also some calming music. Relax and soak and breathe deeply. Just focus on the music or the calming sound of the bath water. Next have a cup of warm milk and a cookie. Read a chapter of a feel good novel. You should feel yourself drifting off. Exercise is also key. Try to have a brisk walk in the early evening. Good luck. You can feel better.

• kyle2 months agoReport

I will try, thank you!! 

• Lili

You really need to see a psychiatrist. No one here is a mental-health professional, and we have no business diagnosing you or commenting on something like memory loss.

Don't see a mere "counselor" or even a psychologist with a PhD. It sounds to me as though you need a full medical evaluation, and psychiatrists are doctors.

Stay away from so-called "natural" remedies like Ashwaganda, 5-HTP, etc.  They do not cross the blood-brain barrier no matter what is claimed for them.  Meditation can be helpful as part of a larger, more comprehensive program of professional treatment, as can regular exercise.