Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 7 days ago

19 year old cat losing babalce?

I have recently adopted a cat, he was 18 when I got him and he just had his 19th birthday! 

In the last 2-3 weeks I’ve noticed a huge change in appetite and he seems to be having balance issues. Swaying back and forth when standing, he also has developed what seems so be feline dimentia or alsymers. He will walk to another room and CRY loud. Looking for advice of getting him to eat and any opinions on why he would suddenly lose balance.

I would go to a vet but due to covid-19 my vet is closed!  Just looking for advice, and Personal experiences.

• 6 days ago

Give him some nutrients, that might help him regain some of that sweet babalce!

• Lauren
    6 days ago

Your cat really needs to see a vet. I don't know where you live but veterinary services, just like health care services, are considered "essential services." This means that they have the right to stay open if they would like to. Some of the clinics have closed but most emergency vets are open and some regular vets are open for emergencies. They will absolutely consider this to be an emergency situation. 

Dementia is possible and there are no treatments for that. The important thing is just to monitor quality of life and to keep the cat comfortable and safe. 

The not wanting to eat a lot can be due to kidney disease or just not feeling well in general. Some bloodwork will probably be performed at a veterinary clinic to see what's going on internally. 

Loss of balance can be from an inner ear infection or polyp, a blood clot, or a cardiac event. Your cat may have high blood pressure and this can lead to blindness as well if it gets too high. It is highly likely that something is going on internally. Please find a veterinarian for some diagnostics and to get better advice on how to keep your cat comfortable at home.  

• 7 days ago

The only advice I can give is to find a vet that is open or will at least consult by phone. You don't know what is wrong and neither does anyone on this forum. No one can diagnose a medical condition over the internet, though it's possible that someone can make a guess that turns out to be accurate. Without an accurate diagnosis, effective treatment isn't possible and anything you can do at home will probably be ineffective or even make things worse..

7 days ago

Your cat may have some type of infection, could possibly had a small tia (mini stroke) and if balance and stumbling I would suggest check the ears for an over infestation of mites or a severe way build up possibly a severe yeast infection or bacterial ear infection.

Besides the emergency vet many clinics,  most regular are seeing more more emergent cases on a short working schedule a couple days a week. Our clinic is usually open 14 hours daily and is now just 4 hours every other day unless trauma or pet is found unconscious or high fever.  Even though you’re clinic is closed they have limited hours.  Leave a message on the phonemic it takes them, explain the problem with the cat, someone from  the office if not the vet will be checking messages for cases that cannot sit till later.

We also have clinics open with limited hours at the humane society and at one of the teaching hospitals, but they are by appointment only. The clinics. Here require the humans to wear masks to help prevent the spread of the virus.

Has the cat been peeing and pooping normally? Has it been dewormed within the past year? Has the cat gotten into anything toxic?

Another thought is to try a vet that goes to peoples homes, they are a little more expensive than a regular office visit but not near as expensive as an emergency vet.

Sorry I cannot be more of a help.

There is also an in line vet you can ask questions to, they charge $5 to $10.00 a call. I think I found them under Google, it’s been a few months and I don’t remember for sure the name. I think it was ‘Live Vet’ or something similar.

Good luck with the kitty.  Even though he’s older you can still have a few good months to years.  Missy our grey female lived till she was 26 years old, mostly blind frI’m cataracts and pretty deaf she was still very tactile and playful, loved to cuddle and talk to us.

• drip
    7 days ago

You could call a Vet.  Or look for one that is open. My friend works the office for a Vet and they are open.

This could be an ear infection.  Get wet cat food and put some on your finger/baby spoon and put it on the roof of their mouth. Try tuna fish or sardines.  Grind the sardines up in blender. 

They may need hydration. The Vet can put a pack of water under the skin to help them 

7 days ago

Your cat is likely near to the end of his short but sweet time with you. Suddenly falling over and crying could be anything, but stroke would be one of my top suspicions for a cat of such an advanced age.

His ability to swallow may be impaired, which may be why he's not eating (much). I suggest that you get him into an emergency clinic if there are no regular clinics open.

Expect that it might be best to euthanize him, no matter what the problem turns out to be. It's 99.9% something very serious :(

• *****
    7 days ago

These are all very worrying symptoms, and this isn't something that you'd be able to do anything about at home. 

In general, vets are not fully closed and will still see urgent cases such as this. They are considered essential services. They may have you wait in your car while they examine your pet, or take other precautions. If your regular vet is fully closed for specific circumstances (such as the vet themselves actually having COVID-19), they will refer you to another practice that can help. So, call your vet. Their voicemail will have info on receiving care, if no one answers.