Jo

Does anyone else thing Mark Hamill sucked as the Joker?

He had no threat level in the slightest, and he hammed it up. Doesn't help that the writing made him an ineffectual buffoon. Honestly, if he wasn't Luke Skywalker, would anyone care about him at all or even remember him being the Joker? At one point, Tim Curry was going to play him in the animated series, what a loss that they replaced him with hammy Hamill. If they ever remaster episodes or the Arkham games, I think they should edit Hamill's voice out and have Tim Curry re-record all the lines.

Favorite Answer

No, he is perfect.

But Tim Curry would be fun. I think he had a stroke though and is half paralyzed, so just a fantasy casting.

• Jo

He can still voice-act.

BLASPHEMER!!!!   :)

Actually, I disagree.  I think he was the BEST Joker. Both in terms of how that Joker was written, but also in overcoming the challenges that being a voice actor presents.  

What Hamill's Joker gets right about Joker that the later breed of Jokers that followed Ledger get wrong, is that the Joker isn't JUST a psychopath.  He's a psychopath who finds his mayhem HILARIOUS.  He's actually FUNNY.  He's a JOKE-STER.  

The Ledger Joker was perfect for those movies, which were seeking a much grittier Batman and Gotham.  Ledger brought more menace and pure savagery to the role.  And I get it, that makes sense given what Nolan wanted.  

But that's not actually RIGHT for the Joker.  That's not what he is about in the comics.  Leto's Joker is just a loser.  Phoenix's Joker is so obviously patterned off of the Ledger Joker.

Caesar Romero's Joker was damaged by the fact that Batman 66 was too far in the other direction - too campy and silly to let Joker have any REAL menace.  He was just a guy in makeup.

It was Nicholson and Hamill who, IMHO, best walked the tightrope between menace and mania.  They were crazy, and funny without being goofy or being about pratfalls.  And between the two, I think Hamill did it better.  

Hamill's extreme laughter and the 'bigness' with which he played the role were, I think, necessary for his medium.  If he hadn't, I think the Joker would have risked just being another member of the rogues gallery and not standing out.  Look at the other villain voices from Batman:TAS.  Other than Harley and Joker, who really stood out?  the voices were all fairly stoic and straight-laced … and boring.  

Hamill played Joker big because the animation couldn't be as expressive as Joker needs to be to breathe.  Hamill's Joker MADE B:TAS what it was, even moreso than Conroy's Batman.

I think the world of Tim Curry, but a Curry Joker would be hard to envision.  Hamill did absolutely PERFECT.  

Stupid people perhaps he and Heath Ledger are the joker.

I'm guessing that is an unpopular opinion, as Hamill is well regarded as The Joker over the years.

Being able to give a hammy performance is almost a requirement when playing a Batman villain; been that way since the 1966 TV show.

Tim Curry recently suffered a stroke, so I'm not sure he is still acting. 

Meanwhile, Warner Bros recently did a Blu-Ray remaster of the animated series and a next gen remaster of the Arkham Games. Hamill was still the Joker in those projects.

• Entropy

Curry's stroke was a while ago now, he's in a wheelchair and is voice acting.

• Mandy

I have no idea what you are talking about.

• Entropy

Then why answer?