Anonymous

How do disabled survive?

I have two main problems: one) I

need 14 hours/sleep every night

or I can't think straight. That makes

it hard for me to work more

than 30 hours/week to the point I

end up crashing or having a stroke.

Honestly, I'm scared of working

40 to 50 hours/week (with overtime).

Two) I don't think there is much of

a place for me in the working-world.

Most of the jobs I'm interested in or 

a capable of are low-income; and 

it's really upsetting. I've considered:  

- Barista at Coffee-Bean

- Bookkeeper

- Math-tutoring

- Veterinary-Assistant

- Medical-Coding

- Computer-Support

______

The last thing I need is to be overwhelmed

with stress. What would you do if you were 

in my shoes? 

I asked my counselor. He said I can work 

part-time in retail, recieve SSI/SSDI 

and live on $1,600/month. Is that okay?

Good news!!

If you need to sleep /rest 14 hours a day, that still leaves you 70 hours a week you can work to support yourself!! That should give you plenty of ways to find 2-3 jobs that can work with your varied hours!!

Then, you will not need to take welfare, which is tax dollars paid by those who work to support themselves. Good going!!

Sounds like a plan,listen to your therapist.

"I have two main problems"

No, you just have one real problem. You're unmotivated and/or lazy. You post the same drivel every week or two.  Your stated disabilities  aren't the kind of thing that would keep a person from getting and maintaining a job.

"Most of the jobs I'm interested in or a capable of are low-income"

You don't always get the job you want. It sounds like you need to consider getting "a" job first. Then once you have some on paper experience you can start thinking about a job that you might enjoy more. You can't wait around for the ideal job to fall in your lap. 

"The last thing I need is to be overwhelmed with stress."

Every job has a degree of stress. The person than mans the fry station at McDonalds is under stress.  A librarian has stress, a dog walker has stress.  Nothing you can do about it.

"I asked my counselor. He said I can work part-time in retail, recieve SSI/SSDI  and live on $1,600/month. Is that okay?"

What makes you think you'll qualify for disability benefits in the first place? 

for you, you need to learn to deal with your perseveration issue.

you have been perseverating on this for a long time.

you need to have a trusted advisor and take their advice.

you have been told repeatedly, you need to treat the sleep apnea.  if you treat it, you will feel better.  you have refused to take that advise.

have you really had a stroke?  was it caused by fatigued?  if not you can't say you will.

medical coding and billing actually pays good with some employers.  so does bookkeeper.

1600/month is more than many people with disabilities get.  it sounds like your combined work/SSDI/SSi is 1600/month.

The ideal job is substitute teaching. For a few hours of work, you'll take home about $100, pre-taxes. The great thing about it is that most school districts now call around for subs at 5 or 6 each morning, and if you are unable to go in, you just don't answer. That doesn't stop them from calling you the next day. Also, depending on the district, if you sub at the middle school or high school level and your classes are all done by noon, then you leave at noon! So if you've had enough sleep, you answer the call and put in a few hours, and go home with $100. If you had a bad night, just don't answer.

• martin

As long as you have work to back up your record with Social Security, you can get SSDI but it is not much per month.

You keep posting essential the same question.  You keep getting answers and don't seem to act on any of it. Have you had your sleep apnea diagnosed and are you compliant to treatment. It has been already suggested you work part-time and get SSI

What would I do - stop procrastinating, get a job and get treatment.