was the studebaker or nash metro or tucker the car designed to look as if it were coming or going?

1 week ago

Studebaker:  they were the first to redesign their cars after WWII  ("First By Far With A Post War Car"). . . . . They were much more streamlined than the cars from other companies who were still selling warmed-over pre-war designs.  Stude never referred to their design as "coming or going", but it was a comment that caught on due to the streamlined roof design with more windows than other cars  (one model, the "Starlight Coupe" had virtually all-around glass).  

These new Studes were for the 1947 model year and the basic styling was so ahead of the times that it was used through 1952.

• 1 week ago

All three vehicles had fronts that looked like fronts and different looking rears that looked like rears.

• 1 week ago

Well, I'm a baby boomer and have been around all three cars. Although I do not agree today with the "coming or going, Studebaker" that's actually how they were advertised. All tree cars had definitively different looking front and rear ends, but the window style of the Studebaker was what gave them that acronym.

"Studebaker pointed the way with design cues like bullet-nose front ends (a shape meant to suggest aircraft engine housings), gun-sight hood ornaments and the wraparound rear windows of the 1947-52 Starlight coupe. The windows, along with other details, make the car’s front and rear ends look so similar that it was often called the “coming or going Studebaker.” "

• Nancy
    1 week ago

What is "as if it were coming or going" supposed to mean?  Are you asking if it looks the same from the front and from the back?  If that's what you mean, then I know it's definitely not the Studebaker or the Tucker because neither of them looked like you were looking at the front of a car when looking at the back.  I've never seen a Nash Metro, but by elimination, I'd guess that's it.

UPDATE:

I just Googled Nash Metro, and it doesn't look like the same from both the front and the back, either, so I can't imagine what you mean by "as if it were coming or going."