Ashley asked in PetsCats · 1 week ago

Why does my kitten need to still be with his mother at 7 weeks?

I just got him and everyone on here is saying he's too young to be away from his mother but I don't see why. First, he's eating solid foods and is drinking water, second he's litter trained. I don't see why he wasn't ready to come to me.

• 4 days ago

youre supposed to wait till 8 weeks, and even then, you'll notice, they attach to you and wont let you leave the room without them, because they do miss mommy, but transfer the relationship to you.

5 days ago

It doesn't need the mother. Is the mother still nursing? Doesn't matter, take the kitty. Spend time with it, hold it, pet it, talk to it, & call it by name. It will bond with you in a week. Feed it wet food, not dry. And take it outside. Let it walk around, but stay close. Get a sand box & put clumping sand in. Then clean the box every day.

• Ocimom
    7 days ago

Because he is still nursing from mom even if he eats solid food .  Because he is just learning how to be a cat .  He is no where near ready to leave mom till 3 months old.  Kittens taken before 3 months can have behavior problems such as biting and litterpan issues.  The kitten will make mistakes that can be avoided if taken later.

• 7 days ago

Taking away a young animal from its mother can cause socialization problems, the mother will train and reprimand when needed, something a human can not replicate at all. 10-12 weeks is the right age, to young and you will have problems, the mother will ween the baby at the right time and making it easier for the baby to be away from its mother and siblings.

• PAMELA
    1 week ago

Because the time when a kitten is thought to be ok to leave mum is between 8 and 10 weeks.They are still learning how to be cat from mum.

• 1 week ago

He still nurses off his mom occassionally, which continues to boost his immunity while his own immune system is developing.

He is also learning social skills from interacting with mom and littermates... He may have eating and using the litterbox down.. But that vital time with mom and siblings allows him to learn how to be a cat, how to interact with others.. And other skills, such as self-grooming.

1 week ago

Because your kitten's immune system hasn't developed and he receives immune defenses through his mother's milk.  Weaning should not begin before the start of vaccines.  Vaccines start at eight weeks of age.

Stuff about kitten manners can be true but isn't always true.  There are gazillions of orphaned bottle-fed kittens out there who grow into wonderful, sweet pets.   There are also plenty of adult cats who were with their mothers until ten weeks who are total jerks.  Basic personality is innate. 

• 1 week ago

He's mastered the essentials such as eating, drinking and the litter tray, but he's still learning cat manners, the social niceties and how to behave as a cat. Mother would still discipline him if he got it wrong. After about 10 weeks he'll have got that too,  and will be a much more "rounded" cat.

1 week ago

You really want to listen to mrs. Frankenstein she knows what she's talking about

• 1 week ago

He's got the basics down, but that's not enough. Cats who leave their mothers too soon tend to be the worst behaved because at 6-10 weeks, they are learning manners from mama, what's appropriate and what's not, play fighting with siblings, and essentially, "how to cat." They also tend to get really whiny and have separation anxiety more than cats who leave mama between 10-14 weeks, the IDEAL time. Separation anxiety isn't too common in cats, but when it does happen, it's cats that left the nest too soon and bottle babies. 

I took a 6 week old kitten because he was abandoned by mama. He was the WORST when he hit about 4 months. Oh my GOD, I wanted to kill that cat. I had to be mama, teach him everything, what was right, wrong, etc. Every time I left, something got destroyed. It was a nightmare.