promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

From my water heater water seems to pool up around the base, and there is usually leakage whenever somebody takes a shower.?

Does anyone happen to know if this means that the hot water heater needs to be completely replaced? The connections on top as well as the pressure release thing at the top do not appear to be dripping off any water so it appears that the source is from the bottom however it is not all that much.

Does anyone happen to know what it might be and solutions to fix it? Not even sure if it is a major problem.

Attachment image

17 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

the hot water tank is stuffed and needs to be replaced 

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

If the tank is about 10 years old then expect it is the tank.  It needs replacing.  Do it before it floods the basement.

• Ched2 months agoReport

I agree with your comment it is 10 years of life and warranty that the manufacture gives and if it's leaking from the bottom that means that it cannot repair it needs to be replaced

• 2 months ago

Water heaters are not normally repaired so leakage virtually always indicates it needs to be replaced.

• 2 months ago

How old is it? 20+ years - tank has rusted out and is leaking. Needs replacement.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • y
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

You have a pin hole on the bottom, which is slowly or not so slowly going to get worse. Then you'll get up in the morning to flood. Best to start isolating and emptying it now.

• Marvinator
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

And when you replace it, consider a pan under the water heater. 

• 2 months ago

replace the tank. It has rusted through somewhere and will become worse and worse over the next few weeks. Be certain sure to include a drip pan when you replace it ... makes it easy to see future leak and keeps water from damaging flooring.

DIY, including fittings, about 500 in US. Plumber has to bring it up to current code ... I was quoted 1200 for that. [So I the job did myself -- lifting the new tank into place did require two people.]

Source(s): grampa
  • 2 months ago

It is done and will need to be  replaced. It will only get worse as time goes on.

• Droopy
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

Do you have a expansion tank installed in water system?  If it just happens during usage then the releif valve is probably releasing pressure from the water being heated.   

Check the pipe that comes off relief valve next time it does this.  If the water is coming from this then you probably need a expansion tank installed or replaced.  

• Barry
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

That does look ominous. Ask a plumber or two to investigate and estimate. Unless the water is seeping from a fitting you probably need a new water heater. Repairs are not feasible as it's due to internal corrosion. If possible buy a heater with a stainless steel water jacket as these will last indefinitely. Don't leave it too long as it will only increase.

• arther
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

the tank is probably leaking time for a new hot water service, obversely your going to check for a leaking pipe first but in most cases if the unit is over 10 years it will be the tank leaking. Call your favourite plumber I usually let the plumber supply the unit if hes going to install it then if a warranty is required its his problem.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.