Why does my washing machine drainage pipe keep popping out and flood my floor?

Everytime I put a wash on there is a big flood on my floor (luckily my floor hasn't got carpet or wood so there's no water damage on the floor) and the pipe gets released. The drainage pipe keeps popping out from the other drainage pipe that its connected to.

The drainage pipe is probably not staying in place, causing it to jump out and flood the floor. This usually happens just before the floor gets wet. My suggestion is to have your wife hold the drainage pipe in place whenever you do laundry.

• Nuff Sed

Or maybe use a bit of string to lash the drainpipe into position, like normal people do?

• Mark

This has happened to me.  There is a nifty device (quite cheap, and you will find yourself using it all the time, so it's not a waste of money) that attaches to a regular hose, and expands against drainpipes and the like and pushes out any debris by water pressure.  After doing this, you have several choices:

#1  secure the outlet hose with duct tape (and it comes in more than that silvery-greyish colour) to the drain pipe

#2  secure the drain hose with a sort of "double-loop zip tie"  (one loop on the hose, one on the pipe), or

#3 buy a longer drain hose, so it extends further into the pipe.

Duck tape worked for me for several years. When I replaced the washer and dryer, the installers used a U shaped guide that allowed them to use zip ties.

• Mr. P

Use a U shaped pipe former that holds the pipe in position - or a pipe clamp screwed to woodwork.

"User error"

• L

The drainage pipe MUST be attached to something to keep it from popping out.

because it is not held in the drain pipe properly 

Sounds like the drain is clogged and the pressure builds up an pushes out the drain hose. Try holding it in place and see if water still shots out.

your sewer line is probably partly blocked and the water can't drain fast enough, so it backs up and then pressure from pump in the machine pops it off the open connection. this is a job for a plumber ... sewer line bends to be augered out with power equipment.

Source(s): grampa
  • Droopy

If it's one of the new high efficiency washers.  There are directions on how to install the drain pipe.  Should be a plastic clip that puts the pipe in a U shape that the hose clips into an mounts to the wall.  Main thing is the is securely mounted.

I agree with the previous answers, a jubilee clip or similar would solve your problem, but also make sure the other drainage pipe is totally clear of debris or anything that would slow down the drainage.