promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Is there any place in the universe where gravity is 100 percent absent?

22 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 weeks ago

Sorry, but no. Only time there would be no effective gravity is falling to the mass barycenter.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 weeks ago

I doubt it   .

• Zheia
    Lv 6
    2 weeks ago

It would have to be somewhere so remote that there is absolutely nothing. It may be that if the universe began with a big bang, then the oldest objects would be furthest from the epicentre and furthest from each other as they move apart. But even then gravity could be very weak in the space in between.

• 2 weeks ago

There is absolutely none

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 weeks ago

The centre of a lonely planet would come close

• 2 weeks ago

Probably not. I say "probably" because in practical terms there could be a place so distant from anywhere that any perturbation it could cause would be smaller than the Planck Length, but I very much doubt this happens.

• 2 weeks ago

Yes. There are points where all forces of gravity cancel out. Lagrange points are places where the the Earth's gravity and sun's gravity cancel out. 

• ...Show all comments
    • ANDY
      Lv 5
      2 weeks agoReport

Nick...But if you are stable in one place and don't feel pulled in any direction, then in that spot where you are gravity will have no effect on you. This is what Jeffrey K meant.

• 2 weeks ago

Not any more.  But there was a period after the Big Bang when there was only energy.  Matter was not created yet, so no gravity.

• 2 weeks ago

No... 

Gravitational force is defined by the equation:

F = G(m1)(m2)/r^2, where the Force is equal to the Gravitational Constant, times the mass of body one, times the mass of body two, all divided by the distance (r) between the two bodies, squared...

As you can see, as r gets large, the force F gets very small - but, it's *never* zero... 

So, in the visible universe at least - gravity should reach to every where we can see - and (mathematically at least) beyond. 

• Bill
    Lv 7
    2 weeks ago

"100 percent absent" is a meaningless phrase, but I'm sure there are places where gravity is .0000001 percent of what it is on earth's surface.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.