promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

How to remove a non-metal shower head?

The shower head I'm trying to remove doesn't have a metal nut to grasp and the pliers I'm using cant grab on to anything to turn it (yes I've used a cloth in between).  Its like a hard plastic or something that is smooth with no edges.  I really dont care about the shower head, its old, nasty and hasn't been changed or clean in forever. I used lime destroyer and WD-40 to try and losen it, still nothing.  Going to try and soak it in vinger overnight but if anyone can help please do.

Update:

Thank You All (Besides the catalog guy), I eventually got it off last night with more WD-40 and Slip Joint pliers, destroyed the shower head which I'm 110% alright with. 

Attachment image

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Vise-Grips or similar locking pliers will probably grab the thing so you can turn it off. the new one will need a few turns of plumber's tape on the threads

Source(s): grampa
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

large vice grip pliers will unscrew it thing is they would cost more than a new arm and shower head . So I your case just buy a new arm with shower rose 

• 2 months ago

The shower head might be manufactured as one piece. Try unscrewing the pipe section extending out of the wall if you are unable to remove the head. The only other option would be to cut the head in half with a hacksaw to see how it is attached and salvage the pipe threads extending out of the wall. When buying a new replacement, give it the magnet test to see if it is made of brass or some cheap foreign made knock-off. All bathroom and kitchen parts should be non-magnetic. 

• JetDoc
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

If you don't want to save the old shower head, then just grab it with some channel lock pliers and turn it off the pipe. Just use care that you don't damage the pipe that comes out of the wall.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Barry
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

A rubber glove gives much better grip than a cloth. If it won't shift pour a kettle of boiling water over the thread joint first. This should slacken it off.

• Boy
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

You unscrew them

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

WRONG FORUM. You need to ask in the repair section of the HOME & GARDEN forum, not the repair and maintenance section of the Cars & Transportation forum. Moving your question to the appropriate venue isn't exactly rocket science. 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Channel lock pliers or a pipe wrench.  Or just take out the whole pipe  from the wall.

Attachment image
  • Anton
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

You need a pipe wrench.  One big enough to grab the shower head.

If that doesn't work, unscrew the pipe coming out of the wall and buy a new "shower pipe."

• Everyone should own at least one vice grip locking pliers.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.