promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Rexall asked in HealthOther - Health · 2 months ago

If Coronavirus is not airborne, why do we have to stand 6 feet apart?

I don't understand the need to stand 6 feet apart. Yes if someone sneezes you want to be distant from them 6 feet or more. But people are making it sound like you can just get Corona by breathing in the air others breath. Is this true? 

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

If someone coughs or sneezes, the droplets which come out of their nostrils and mouth are said to spread at least 6 feet. I'm going to guess they can spread much further than that.

And if someone coughs or sneezes, the particulates sometimes hang in the air for up to 20 minutes or longer.

Just breathing the same air around someone who isn't sneezing or coughing isn't going to cause a problem. But picking up articles or touching surfaces which the public touches can also be a problem. This is why i carry alcohol spray and hand sanitizer and why i use it.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

Breathing on someone passes it. You don't need to sneeze. Particles coughing can reach much further than 6 feet too. Six feet is really not enough either, unless you're all wearing masks.

• Marc
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Who said its not airborne? It is . That is why they recommend socia distancing and 6ft rule.

• Mike G
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

It is airborne. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • martin
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

One would assume it's true and is a major reason for quarantine.

• 2 months ago

It is airborne, but that's not a common route of infection except in cramped, closed spaces such as public transportation.  Most cases are transmitted by hand to mouth after airborne particles settle on a surface.

• Barry
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

People exhale the virus in their breath. It's not airborne in that it travels distances.

• 2 months ago

It travels in aerosolized particles exhaled from the mouth and nose, a large percent of those particles travel a short distance before falling to the ground.

• 2 months ago

Because it can travel two metres from someone if they sneeze, even though sneezing isn't a symptom, it's not floating around in the air like an invisible gas. A grenade isn't airborne but if I throw one at you you'll blow up.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.