Why do I get angry when my dad tells me how smart I am knowing I have a learning disability?

I made peace with having a learning disability. But every time I talk to my dad about how I have a learning disability he points out how smart I am. Why is this and why does it bother me?

Favorite Answer

We don't  know, we aren't your psychologist but I know how you make it stop. 

Stop talking about your learning disability to anyone except your doctor and start living your life.

ive gone through that parents try to fix your problems and dont try to accept that there a part of you that dosent need to be fixed and that sometimes you just need someone to rant to with out them commenting or trying to make you feel better about your situation because when they keep trying to make us feel better about it points it out more and more   

Tell your dad to see a shrink.  He's the one who really needs it.  TBH, though it sounds like he's just trying to lift you up and make you feel better about yourself.  He's encouraging and you should be glad you got a dad like that.  Mine constantly tries to sabotage me and wants to see me fail because he dropped outta high school which resulted in an inferiority complex.  It's really annoying and quite tiresome.

Perhaps you underestimate yourself, Seth. Many people do. I think your dad does this because he wants people to know that there is more to you than meets the eye. And having a learning disability (such as ADD or ADHD, for example) doesn't mean you're stupid or that you lack intelligence.

because him saying it all the time makes you question it...Better than my dad...who just called us stupid everytime we made a mistake...an over the years I believed him...I had to go to counseling just to overcome that

I don't know. You should be grateful.

• Mark

Because one of  your disabilities appears to be anger management.