promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Cody asked in SportsCycling · 2 months ago

Is it ok to ride a bike through a drive thru?

I'm self-quarantining, but most mornings I bike for 2 miles (keeping a safe social distance from others).

Is it ok to pick up breakfast using a drive thru window on a bike. Is it legal?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

Legal, but unusual. Can't be denied service. Most cyclist would use take out windows at door. (with coronavirus, mcd & bk encourage you to use the APP to pre-order. Slightly better deals) 

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

no you have to have a car or dont come back just the same as going inside the answer is NO

• 2 months ago

At one bank they let me do it. Then they stop it.

• Jon
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

The motoring and fast food corporations deserve each other. We are best off avoiding both.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

I have been served in a drive-thru while on a bicycle.  It is worth a try.   During this time they should do it.

• 2 months ago

Since drive-throughs are on private property, it is up to the owner whether or not to allow bikes.

• 2 months ago

Although it might be "legal"...is it permitted by the restaurant or fast food chain?  After all, it is "private property" & they're allowed to make their own rules.  Why not simply pick up the phone & CALL THEM?  

I will end with this...  Every single place I've contacted in the St. Louis area has said, "Nope".  That includes a chain of gas stations / convenience stores that sell snacks, drinks, liquor. cigarettes, sandwiches, etc.  They all had one standard answer.  They all claimed it was "For my own safety."  Get back with us & let us know about your area.  I'm curious if this is a nationwide line of B.S. they've come up with.     

• David
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

It’s not illegal in the sense that you can be arrested or fined for it. But some chains has as a policy not to serve people who walk up to drive-thru windows. Don’t know how they’d treat cyclists. So at worst you’re looking at being denied service. Leave without making a fool of yourself and all will be fine.

• 2 months ago

i dont see why it wouldnt be

• Joe
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

In my state, a bicycle is supposed to follow the same rules as a motor vehicle.  That would make it legal.

(But it's possible that the restaurant manager won't let you do it, citing insurance reasons.)

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.