Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 1 week ago

Is my 11 year old too old to play with 9 year olds?

My family lives next door to 9 year old twin girls. They always invited my 11 year old over to sleepovers and craft-making activities (before the coronavirus outbreak). Today my daughter asked me if she’s allowed to FaceTime these girls. I will definitely call and ask their parents if it’s ok before letting her. As my daughter approaches middle school, she’ll be in a different environment from these twins. I’m worried that 2 years is too big of an age gap for them to be friends. As a rule of thumb, kids generally aren’t interested in people who are more than 1 year younger or older than they are. My daughter will start puberty years before these girls do. It doesn’t sound like a big age gap but at this age, 2 years could be more like 2 decades. 

5 days ago

There's nothing wrong with a two year age gap. Most siblings who aren't twins are generally 2 years apart, so I don't see what you're worried about. The girls will have a lot of fun doing things together, once they are able to see one another again. And your comment about your daughter starting puberty years ahead of the twins may or may not be true. People mature at different rates, and one of the factors which will help determine when your daughter will start puberty is when YOU had YOUR first periods. If you started late, chances are good your daughter will start later. If you were an early bloomer, your daughter may start earlier. But that won't-and shouldn't- have any impact on her relationship with your neighbors' twins.

When I was your daughter's age, my best (and for a long time, my only) childhood friend was a year younger than I was. I don't buy your notion that kids aren't interested in other kids who are slightly older or younger than they themselves are, because it's clearly false.

I have 2 relatives who are 27 months apart in age, but they are still close, even though they are college age now and attend (or will be attending) different schools in two different states. The elder one looks after and has always looked after his younger brother. It's just how they are. They both have lots of friends, older and younger than they are, so I know it's possible for kids to have such interests. Friendships aren't dictated by age.

• 6 days ago

I think it fine , when i was 13 my best friend was 9

• 6 days ago

I had a best friend growing up that was 3 years younger than me. I thought at times it was too much but we had a lot of fun together! She even learned about sex sooner than I did ! I was apparently behind and she taught me (no not in that gross way you sicko), just girl talk if you know what I mean! ..And no, she was not sexually abused. At least I hope not!

Source(s): 12 year old her and 15 year old me!
  • 7 days ago

not as long as they have the same interests and get along well, I suppose.

• Alan H
    1 week ago

If both sets of parents agree that seems an exceedingly sensible idea 

• 1 week ago

It's a Respiratory illness with no cure. The OLD, Young and those with Immune deficiencies are who could die. Otherwise safe. If you or they go visit people with those problems, then yes, they should not be around each other.

• Jane
    1 week ago

Children naturally form friendships if they are free to do so, of various ages and interests. As they already have a connection, why would you worry? Both your daughter and your neighbour's children will form other friendships in any case and this will just happen and no need for you or anyone else to control this. Relax, it's great they can stay in touch despite social distancing

• GB
    1 week ago

A real parent  would not  be worrying that the two year age gap is too much, just because their child is approaching middle school.  If you  ask the other parents if  FaceTime with their kids is ok, then it should be about whether they agree with children using social media  rather than about age. It sounds like  you see one of the good things about coronavirus  is a chance to discourage your daughter from playing with children you consider 'too young' for her. 

Another thing  that makes you sound like a troll, is  saying 'She will start puberty years before these girls do.'  Even if  your daughter is already showing signs, such as a growth spurt or budding breasts - how much do you know about the twins  physical development?  

At age 9, I had an 11 year old friend, whose mother might wondered if her child was 'too old'  for the same reasons you give.  But it was me who went through puberty first. My periods started at age 10 1/2  while my friend was in her teens.  This did not mean that I suddenly matured mentally - I still enjoyed 'child-like' activities.

1 week ago

yes they can its only 2 yrs

• 1 week ago

omg 2 yrs age gap---do u realize they are pretty much already thinking on the same level.