can anyone please give me an honest answer on why the world is not set up for people with autism spectrum disorders at all?

i am someone with autism who is very frustrated by the fact that the world is not set up for people on the autism spectrum and it is pent up so anyone please give me an honest answer on why its not set up for me at all

im sorry i know how hard it is because i have autism and so does my brother. my brothers is a lot worse then mine he couldnt go to college because of his autism but he can draw the world and is an amazing artist  and i can do math each but i cant do grammer and i cant draw a straight line to save my soul  autistic person has there own thing that there amazing my advice is to find the thing that makes you feel amazing and follow it don't let anything stop you you are amazing in your own special way

• SumDude

fyi - I left no rating, and my questions are serious ones. {And no, I did not buy the magazine that recently had articles on autism.}

Speaking as someone who also has mild Autism, I think what you're really trying to ask is why there is such stigma towards Autism and Autistic people, especially adults, in American society and popular culture. And the short answer is because we're perceived as "different" than neurotypical people, and in the eyes of some, that either makes us a THREAT, OR, it makes us "unacceptable". It's the same kind of thinking that is involved in racism, sexism, homophobia (although in that case it's complicated by the fear that many people have of the mechanics of the sex involved) or just about any other "ism" that you can think of.

Autism has been around for centuries, and indeed for most of human history. It just wasn't identified as such until the late 20th century. But history is full of stories about "court jesters" and "village idiots", who were very likely people on the spectrum or people with mental illness, which is even more sad. There is something in human beings which causes them to use even minor perceived differences as an excuse to hate on and mistreat others, even though whoever the hated people are often don't deserve such treatment. The constant wars we have waged on each other are an outgrowth of this, because the only way that human beings can wage war on each other is by depersonalizing their perceived enemies, and placing them on a lower plane than themselves. This is the reason, in fact, why collusion or fraternization with the enemy is a crime in the military. On a basic level, we all recognize that even something as simple as a moment's eye contact can lead to instant empathy- and once you can feel empathy for another person or group, it becomes difficult if not impossible to wage war on that individual or group.

I don't understand why people think the way they do about Autism. And it eludes me what they are so scared of. Autistic people aren't "sick", we aren't "broken", and NO, we don't need to be "fixed". We're not contagious, either- nobody can get Autism from being near someone who has it. I know only too well what it means to be alone because of Autism and because people hate you for being "different". I've been there too. I've had to learn to make my own happiness, and to create the world that I want to live in- even if it takes most of my life to do that.

Seriously, what do you want?  I hear "autism" all the time now, but have no real idea what it is. 

Because you have to advocate for yourself. If it's not set up for you, it's because you haven't advocated for yourself. Part of having accommodations specific to you is advocating for yourself. People won't know what you need unless you tell them. Be nice though. 

There are things set up for people with ASD. There's IEPs, programs, and lots of other stuff. There's so much for kids but not a lot for adults, unfortunately. But I will say that the world can do better. 

But it takes TIME and a LOT of effort. I understand your frustration but you have to learn how to deal with things on your own with or without help. 

I dont know why we don't take advantage of a lot of things on earth....Autistic people are different enough that they can solve problems that most of us dont recognize as problems...but the world could be a lot better if we had a system where peoples ideas could be heard and evaluated

Difficult to answer when you don't specify exactly what it is you feel needs to be "set up" for you.

Because you don't matter.

• 2 months agoReport

This is the most repulsive thing I read. What’s wrong with you?