Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingAdoption · 2 months ago

Is it wrong to adopt if you want a certain gender?

Let's say a couple had only boys and wanted a daughter. Or vice versa. Would it be wrong for them to adopt a child because they want the opposite gender? Because they want to be able to raise both genders?

Favorite Answer

It wouldn't necessarily be wrong, as long as they didn't have set expectations for that child i.e. "we want a girl so we will have someone who loves to dress up and have her hair done and play with dolls." Our oldest daughter, for instance, is happiest when she is elbow deep in engine grease doing car repairs.  ; )

"No thanks, I don't want that one because it has a penis" works when you're adopting a dog, but that really wouldn't be a factor for me if I were adopting a human being. 

No, that would not be wrong. A lot of times people will adopt a certain gender because that is what they had their heart set on, and for whatever reason, could not conceive a(another) child.