I've decided to drop out of high school. How do I convince my mom that this is the best choice for me?

I'm currently a junior in high school. I'm almost 18, I have a job, I know what I want to do in life, and I'm miserable. I have a lot of stress associated with high school, and most of my time is spent crying from stress. My dad told me his story of dropping out of high school at 17. I didn't realize dropping out was an option for me until then. I figured I HAD to finish school. My dad said he just wants me happy. So I decided to drop out, get my GED, start community college and get a real job that has to do with animals. I want to transfer from community college to a university and get at least a bachelor's degree so I can work as a zoologist. When I think of that future for me, I get very happy. When I remember I'm in high school, I'm sad again. School in general has always been an issue for me, and I feel that my quality of life will significantly improve. My mom, however, disagrees. She doesn't want me to drop out. She would rather me stay the extra year. I've barely made it through this year. She says I'm not mature enough, but thats the problem. How can I become more mature when every time I start to get better, the stress of school sends me spiraling into a mental breakdown? I can't! I don't learn that way. 

Hi, I got a 3.9 GPA in high school.

I totally recommend it, in certain contexts. Caution note, many students regretted dropping out. However you really have to prove you are high IQ and good at navigating the world of karma. A lot of students regret dropping out because they are either lower in IQ or make mistakes in navigating the world of karma & reincarnation.

Community college is an option, yes, and in this case, there are different subjects not taught in high school. There is more free time, yes. academically speaking, most of the students who got As in math in my high school graduating class are in my opinion, too reliant on things like eating pork, fish (omega 3s), oranges and taking advantage of family legacy to have a "head start". I did similar things as a result in 10 years I would only know math equivalent of basic addition and subtraction unless I take a radically different approach (basically ask the person who failed geometry in high school but ended up a graduate degree in math). I would recommend you take the online MBTI test, you will get a result.

• Squid

What is it about school that you have a problem with?  If it's anything like bullying or something like that you can just swap to an online homeschool plan.

Also, contact your chosen community college and ask them if there would be more remedial course requirements for your vet tech (?) plan if you have a GED.  And look for dual credit options as well.

lol. Stay in school, fool.

• R K

you can't make it through one more year of high school? what makes you think you will make it through 4-6 years of college to get a degree? if going to school is an issue for you now, why do you think that will change after you drop out?

Wren, GROW UP some and use some COMMON SENSE. Which you clearly aren't doing. Dropping out of school right now is the WORST thing you can do. College admissions staff- even those at community colleges- AREN'T IMPRESSED by people who drop out, and tend not to admit them. I grew up in the Midwest, near Purdue University, and I know what I'm talking about. My parents were administrators and faculty members there for years, and believe me, there is no major school or university that's interested in admitting someone who doesn't even have the emotional maturity-not to mention the common sense- to at least finish HIGH SCHOOL.

Your dad set a very poor example for you. HE should not have dropped out either, unless he was drafted into the military, or had some other very good reason for doing so, such as severe personal illness, for example. Furthermore, he shouldn't have told you about what he did in such a way as to cause you to believe that this was an appropriate choice for you to make, because it's NOT. YOU WILL PAY a price for not finishing high school. A GED does NOT CARRY the same weight with college admissions staff that a regular diploma (and especially, a diploma accompanied by a transcript that shows top grades and high SAT or ACT scores) would. Your mother is RIGHT, and your dad isn't. Quitting school now would be a disaster for you, unless of course, you want to make a permanent career out of being a greeter at Walmart or flipping burgers at Mickey D's.

I think the real issue here is that you have some serious learning disabilities that haven't been addressed or dealt with, and this is causing you to get poor grades. It's also the cause of most of your mental issues- and you do sound as though you're depressed. You could benefit from some sessions with a good therapist, who can help you work through your emotional issues. And you also need to be evaluated for learning disabilities, as well as for a possible diagnosis of mild Autism. There are plenty of resources available to help people in your situation. You just need to do some real research and find out what and where they are.

One last note: If you think your work is hard now, I guarantee you that when you get to college-even community college- it will be MUCH HARDER. If you can't handle high school, how on Earth do you expect to be able to handle college and possibly, grad school? Have you thought of this?

PS: Thank you, Chloe.

• Chloe2 months agoReport

To person who posted this question, take this answer to heart because this is the best advice you'll ever get. 

• drip

If you think HS is stressful what the heck are you going to do at the university level!   Chances are for a decent job in this field you will need to go to graduate school for a Masters degree. 

And you don’t “get” a GED.   You need to takes tests and score well in all subjects to earn your GED.  Do have any idea what material you will need to know?  Before dropping out get a GED study guide book from amazon. 

Good luck with that.