promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

What can I do to make my computer run faster? ?

Recently, I replaced the battery (because I needed to anyway), but it still runs pretty slow. Is there anything safe I can do to make it faster? 

Update:

stop answering 

19 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Run the defragment tool. First click on Analyse then see how many red lines come up indicating fragmented files. Disable autorun programs. Then click on Defragment. 

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • hart
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

new legs will do the trick

• 2 months ago

You needed to provide specifics about your computer - age, speed, ram, etc

My general experience with computers slowing down usually falls into a few typical categories - not the only categories, just saying these are the most common I see: (1) computer is infected  (2) computer has slow specs (3) age - old computers slow down

As I said, the above are not the only things that slow down a computer by any means. These are just the most common I personally see. 

The #1 cause I see is related to computer infection. So run your anti-virus and run your anti-malware and then see how things are.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

- get rid of apps you don't use/need

- clean your disk drive

- defrag your computer

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Download more ram from downloadmoreram.com

Thank me later

• 2 months ago

"Runs pretty slow" is relative. We'd need more info to spot room for improvement. Don't believe any of the gibberish you read in this column as it's all from self-proclaimed experts who in fact do not have a clue (I have read their ludicrous answers). Take it to a computer shop that has people without tattoos/piercings/strange hair. Look for someone older who actually has experience and wisdom. Perhaps your machine is beyond redemption, so it may be time for something new. My first guess would be a low amount of memory. Depending on the operating system (Windows 7 or Windows 10), the capabilities of the main system board to accept more memory, that's probably the first of defense.

• 2 months ago

Not enough info about your computer to answer this.

• 2 months ago

Replacing a battery has no affect on computer speed. Giving a reasonable answer requires more info - laptop or desktop, cpu, ram, hard drive and amount of space left, can more ram be installed, how many programs are running in the background - just to name a few variables.

• John
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Drag it behind your car.........

• 2 months ago

Defragmentation,

physically cleaning the fans inside of your computer,

running a software on it to see what might be slowing it down (as mentioned by other posters here CCleaner works fine and happens to be free),

run in-depth and bootup scan of your computer using antivirus

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.