mrh-slos asked in Consumer ElectronicsCameras · 3 months ago

POLL -,Which do you prefer - and why - colour or black and white photographs?

Generally I prefer colour, but there are some exceptions - for example if there are bright colours in the background - and also some winter scenes are better if photographed in B&W. Most modern digital cameras can take both, making it easier than with.film, Withfilm one had to decide only every 24 shots or have 2 cameras I with colour and one with B&W film. It was too easy,if you had only 1 camera, to have a part used film of the wrong kind.

Favorite Answer

I have no preference, but I can say that I Don't like images that are all one colour --- 

essentially monochrome blue, red, green, etc.      

If colour is used, I like it to be at least somewhat natural-looking. 

B&W has many good uses, such as when the most important details are shapes. 

Depends what the picture will be of. 

Some things look better in one format, but not all.

color, I always hated Black and White

• Sumi

Whether to shoot in color or B&W has been a dilemma for film photographers since the advent of color film in the 1930s.  Those shooting film that came in a canister like 35mm film were pretty much stuck using one type of film.  Although, it is relatively easy to rewind a partially used roll of 35mm film and then reinsert it back into the camera and advance the film to where you left off.  I use to do that all the time using a piece of thick plastic tape to remove the leader out of the canister, and then using a Sharpie to write down the last frame on the can.

Other cameras like medium and large format made it far easier.  Medium format cameras use a detachable film back allowing the photographer to have multiple backs with multiple types of film at their disposal.  Large format cameras use film holders which allows the photographer to use whatever film they like.

As for your actual question, I prefer to use B&W with scenes where the shapes, texture, light and shadows are most important and where the color will likely distract from those qualities.  If the color is important, then I use color.

"Most modern digital cameras can take both, "

True, but why bother hamstringing yourself by shooting in b&w - much better to get all the image data you can and then make the changes in post.  That said, it's a good idea to shoot images that you plan to treat as b&w - it forces you to think!  Unfortunately I'm one of those photographers who mainly uses b&w in a desperate attempt to rescue an otherwise bad image.  

• Judy

Color photos.  Flowers, animals, nature, stones, oceans, sunsets, fabrics, NASA photos, cars, food - lol.  Just about everything and everyone looks so much better in a color photo.