Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingToddler & Preschooler · 2 months ago

Could my toddler have coronavirus ?? Please help ?

Hi so my son has a very runny nose and dry cough like cold symptoms but he’s had it for a week and a half it’s seems so much worse at night , been checking his temperature it’s been 36.5 so no fever , he’s eating a little bit less but still is eating now and again and playing as usual and drinking as usual normal poos and wees just this cough is awful he’s 22 months old and there’s not much to give him I wanted to take him to a doctor to check if his chest is ok as I doubt he’s got the virus as no fever but with it going on I don’t think my gp will see him just in case what can I do ? 

I’m just worried incase it forms into a chest infection and may need antibiotics I might call 111 and see what they say 

Most healthcare plans today  have a hotline to call, look on your healthcare card.

• GB

Phone a doctor and describe the symptoms.

• Edna

Your son does NOT have coronavirus - he just has a cold. Antibiotics aren't used to treat a cold - they're useless against a virus like a cold. In fact, there's really no medicine that's effective against a cold. All you can do is treat the cold symptoms until they go away.

• Edna

Her son doesn't have symptoms of coronavirus; he has the symptoms of a cold - a cough,  a runny nose and no fever - & he's had it for 1-1/2 weeks. A runny nose isn't a symptom of coronavirus. It's a symptom of a cold or a seasonal allergy.

KEEP him at home..as long as he aint in bad shape or not breathing, dont take him out. he could get exposed to the corona and this be life threatening since hes already sick.

u might consider giving him some over the counter cough medication to help his symptoms too.

• Suzy Q

Of course he COULD. Anybody with cold-like symptoms could have this virus. That's why it's important to self-isolate in cases like this.

It's more likely to be a cold though, and even if it is Covid-19 it is very unlikely to become serious at this age. And as long as there is no fever, there is no reason to suspect a chest infection that needs to be treated with antibiotics. 

DO NOT take him anywhere near a doctor's office unless he develops actual serious symptoms, and even then CALL first so they can take proper precautions. Because:

1. If this IS a mild case of Covid-19, there is nothing a doctor can actually do about it at this point. Your child is not in need of a hospital bed and oxygen. But he COULD infect others, who would then infect more others, not all of whom would be so lucky to get such a mild case of this disease. People could die because of this. 

2. If this is NOT Covid-19, you risk coming into contact with others who are infected. Your child would not be any better off (a doctor can't cure the common cold either) but you could end up bringing this virus into your home. 

So calm down, stop imagining what-ifs that have no rational basis in reality, stay the f- home and be VERY diligent practicing social distance if you can't. 

• SexiLexi

why thumbs down, this person gave a GREAT answer! idiots around here. 

Sounds like a cold.

• Tulip

Runny nose is NOT a symptom. Symptoms have been plastered over the internet for days where have you been?

No, children don't get it.