Becky asked in PetsCats · 2 weeks ago

Are humans born aware that they will one day die?

Are humans aware at birth, with no external influence, that they will one day die? 

PLEASE READ: Since I wasn’t clear enough by what I meant, 

I read that babies are born with the fear of falling and the fear of loud noises (pertaining to predators) suggesting they have a biological, subconscious knowledge of death, as they fear things that might kill them. What I was meaning is that, although they may not know what death is, are they born with the sense to avoid it? I do not think the idea that there exists a subconscious instinct to avoid ‘death’ in infants is so crazy. 

• 1 week ago

Those with CIPA (insensitivity to pain) are more like to hurt themselves and sometimes don't develop a sense of fear since they can't feel pain. CIPA people can't even tell if they have a fever or broken bones. People in general however; are not afraid of death itself, they are afraid of being in pain as they die. 

• 1 week ago

Of course not you moron.  THat is a learned experience

• Becky1 week agoReport

What I was meaning is that, although they may not know what death is, are they born with the sense to avoid it? I do not think the idea that there exists a subconscious instinct to avoid ‘death’ in infants is so crazy. :/ Calling me a moron just makes you look ignorant and rude.

1 week ago

I was born knowing that I used to be a ghost...

• 1 week ago

Some people NEVER become aware they will one day die. That's what makes them do stupid things sometimes. When a baby is born, it's not aware of philosophical, ethical or religious concerns at all. That takes experience and thinking to get to. Babies have neither. 

• Becky1 week agoReport

But death is not a philosophical, ethical or religious matter- it is a biological fact. And I should have been more clear- I mean in a subconscious sense- I read that babies are born with the fear of falling and loud noises, suggesting they subconsciously know of death, as they try to avoid it

• 1 week ago

I don't think they will know at birth but they eventually know

No. When I was born, I remember going through discomfort & pain. I was aware of light. But, of course, I didn't know what that was. For the first time, I was cold & I didn't like all the hands. No. I don't remember being aware of dying. That came about 3 years later.

Aren't you a human? When did you become aware? The age of that awareness is around five or seven years old.

No, that is something humans learn about along the way. That is why babies and small children do things that can endanger their life. They don't understand their own mortality. It is something they need to be taught.

• Anon

I don’t know. Hang on. I’ll go and ask a human!

No. A child does not learn about death until they reach an age of reason--to know what death is. The finality of it scares kids, so this is why it is important to teach them about Heaven and Hell, and the saving Grace of Jesus.