Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationOther - Cars & Transportation · 2 weeks ago

When does car tags expire?

If your tags say APR20 does that mean the expiration date is in April or the following month? 

When would I be pulled over for expired tags? 

April 2020 smart aleck. What part of that don't YOU understand? 

I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT MY DRIVERS LICENSE, I SPECIFICALLY SAID CAR TAGS. THEY EXPIRE APRIL 2020, MY BIRTHDAY IS NOT IN APRIL! 

SHUT UP ABOUT THIS BIRTHDAY CRAP. MY BIRTHDAY IS FAR FROM APRIL!!! 

• 1 week ago

My California tag has a year and month on them and that specifies how long they're valid. It's based on when you first registered the car, by month and the tags are good for one year. An APR20 tag is good through the end of April, in 2020. Everybody has to ask once. Start scratching up your money to buy a new tag before April ends, or it will cost you more. In my city, the police typically don't cite and tow overdue registration for 6 months.

• 1 week ago

that means when April is gone and May arrives your tags are expired.

It means the expiration date is in April. If it was in May, it would say May. Simple as that.

Here, and I suspect everywhere, expiry is a midnight on the last day of the month.

Why don't you look at your own freaking registration and tags on your plates Snowflake and answer your own question?

In most states, your tag expires on your birthday. If that's true in your state, it would expire in April 2020 on your birthday. Unless you get pulled over for some other reason, police would not know your birthday, so they wouldn't pull you over for expired tags until May 1.

• The Devil
      1 week agoReport

In my state your LICENSE expires on your birthday. That has nothing to do with car registration tags.

• JOHN B

May 1. Some States have a grace period of up to 30days. I know TX ,OK & IA do. 15 in NC.

• oklatom
      1 week agoReport

OK does not have a grace period on expiration, that is on ornly the late fee fro not renewing your tag on time.

• JetDoc

They expire at midnight on the last day of April.

in most states, the last day of April. If you go to renew on May 1st, you'll be late and may be subject to instant fine [it'll be called a penalty or surcharge, but it's a fine]

APR20 means Apr. 20, so what part of expired on Apr. 20 do you fail to understand? 

• Edna
      2 weeks agoReport

Anon:  APR20 means April 2020. The registration expires at midnight on the last day of April 2020.

Depends on where you live and the laws there.

If my car tags have a APR 20 sticker, I have a "grace period" until the end of May of 2020 to get new ones in place.

Your city/county/district could be different.

• Sandy
      1 week agoReport

I don't understand the "Thumbs Down" for this. The user is giving their experience and has said it can be different depending on location. WTH?