Do PC monitors ever go bad?

My LCD monitor at home is twelve years old and still is going strong. At my job, I have three monitors and have been using these same monitors for the entire seven years I've worked at this company. So those get used five days a week for 10 hours a day and none of them have ever failed.

Do LCD monitors ever go bad? They seem so durable!

• Bort
    Favorite Answer

They can and do develop issues sometimes. The most common thing that happens is they lose part of the display or a line appears that won't go away because the pixels burn out or become damaged. Another common thing is there's a gadget inside of them that...the picture a flat panel receives comes in upside down, there's a gadget inside of them that both controls the amount of light sent to the screen, it acts as a resistor, and flips the image around right-side-up. I've experienced that part needing replaced several times.

They're also not indistructable. If they're dropped or struck by something the screen can also become damaged and not work properly.

Usually as long as the only thing done with and to them is they sit on a desk and get starred at, unless the person is ugly enough that they break mirrors and glass they glance at too long, flat panels can last a very long time.

I have one that's over 20 years old and still going strong. It's even been through several moves where it was shoved into the back of an SUV and it has been dropped and banged around a bit a few times as well but it still works great.

Flat panel screens were invented and introduced in July 1964. They're not as new as some people might think.

it may but mostly it does not. just take good care of it

Yes.  Most common failure is power supply capacitors.  Some suffer from heat death.

I have all apart a 2004 Dell LCD monitor that has fluorescent tubes for backlight, not LEDs.  That will make it run hot.  An arcing at the tube end of one half (of 12 ends) burned up, and took the power board with it.  I will repair, since it is such a good screen. I bought four more of these, since they are top quality.

My 2006 fluorescent tube HDTV had to have its lighting power supply capacitors replaced.  Now just fine again.

The LED lighting monitors should last quite a long time.  I have some 2012 models of Acer and Samsung that are still perfect.  My 2011 Samsung LED lit HDTV shows like new.

My Dell Latitude laptop was bought used in 1999 and still shows a fine screen, but it needs a battery.

My AST Ascentia laptop from even earlier works also.

yes, they can and do go bad. Yours are about near the end of their likely lifetime

lcd monitors do last a long time. Most of them are still working when they get thrown out. But they will eventually stop working. I would have to say most will last around 10 years. some will last even longer. I got a dell laptop from 1993, and it's lcd is still working. 

The backlights on LCDs lose brightness the more they are used.