Cameron asked in PetsReptiles · 2 months ago

When is the best time to see and look for snakes? ?

So I’m 16 years old and I like looking for snakes because they’re my fav animal to be honest. Me and my friend almost everyday look for snakes even during rain but haven’t seen any since January 2020. It is now late March 2020 and still haven’t seen any and it’s been warm, we are in South Carolina and it hot some days cold others. Anyways when is the best time (degrees, time of day, etc) to look for? I’m mostly talking about Kingsnakes, Water Snakes, Grass Snakes, just any normal snake. *We do not hurt or keep any of the snakes, we just take pictures*

This time of year, your best bet is to find a rocky, south-facing slope. You might find snakes that are emerging from their dens.

• zeno

Spring, Summer and fall.

• Steve

more of a chance when the temperature is reliably warm

Snakes are secretive. They are also not easy to find. Many snake experts are happy that they can even find one after a full day of hunting. Water snakes and garter snakes are much easier to find. Warm weather can bring them out in large numbers sometimes but as summer approaches, it becomes too hot and they go back into hiding.

It is also a bit dangerous looking for snakes because you may accidentally come across a deadly venomous rattlesnake Most people turn over surface objects to look for snakes hiding underneath. Be careful though when turning over objects because there may be a rattlesnake hiding underneath and it is ready to bite. It is good to be able to go with a friend on field trips because if one of you is bitten, the other one can carry the other one to seek help.

Wear rubber boots if possible and denim jeans because they are good protection against bites. Watch where you put your hands and feet so you don't put yourself in danger. Turn rocks or logs or boards towards you so the object you are turning can shield you from a potential bite. One time I flipped a rock and saw a baby rattlesnake below. After flipping rocks and logs, try to put them back the way they were before you flipped them.

March is a bit early to find snakes, except for some that are just coming out of hibernation, such as kingsnakes and milk snakes and garter snakes. It is easier to find them in April and May. I seldom look for snakes by hiking through the woods. I find that road cruising during the late afternoon and early evening is a more productive and safer way to look for snakes, although you are still more likely to see DOR (road kills) than snakes that are alive this way. Being 16, you may or may not be able to look for snakes by driving slowly on rural roads, depending on whether you have a driver's license or not. Road cruising has its danger too. If you stop suddenly because you see a snake crossing the road, you may get rear-ended. If you see someone tailgating you, then you should move over and let them pass. That too can be dangerous because the shoulder may be soft and you can get stuck in the mud and need a tow truck to get you out of trouble.

The best way right now to find a snake is to go to the edge of a pond or stream and flip rocks and logs. you may find some garter snakes or water snakes. As you walk along the pond or stream, keep an eye out for snakes that may be out in the open also. you may find some of them mating. BTW, it is good to carry some hand cleaners because if you handle a garter snake, you may get some smelly musk on your hand. The odor can only be removed if you use hand cleaners that auto mechanics use to clean their hands.

• οικος

A good scrub with regular hand soap will remove the musk too.

I'm in AZ, up to my hips in King Snakes.  The best time depends on the weather that particular day.

Congrats on photographing and turning them loose.