promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenGarden & Landscape · 3 months ago

If my tree's limbs are hanging over fence into neighbor's yard, do I have to cut them?

My neighbor asked me to cut my tree's limbs that are hanging over our fence into his side of his yard. Legally, do I have to cut them?

24 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

Its on their property its their problem.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

If you want your tree to look nicer or be pruned correctly, you CAN cut them, but you're not legally OBLIGATED to. However, your neighbor can cut them. And if he does, and ruins your tree, damages it, or otherwise makes it look bad, that will be difficult to correct. It's probably better if you do it. In the interest of good relations, it might be better if you do it. But you don't have to. However--if one of those branches falls and damages anything on his property, YOU are responsible for it. 

• Jackolantern
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

No! The only responsibility to the tree owner would be responsible is if the tree or tree limb is dead and hanging over another's property, then it the tree owner's responsibility to take care of the situation before it does fall! otherwise, it is the neighbor's insurances problem.

• Mr. P
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Legally, no, but you have to live with the neighbour, so I would do as requested to keep on good terms.

• 2 months ago

He is entitled not to have your tree limbs overhanging his property. On the principle of good neighbourliness you should cut them, if you're nice about it he may well help you.  You'll probably have to ask permission to go round there anyway to do it. If you don't he is entitled to cut them off himself (and offer you the offcuts back).

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeyep

• patty
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

why not. no need to create a bad neighbour situation. He should do it himself but if it is not a big job why don't u

• Tavy
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

Why can't you be a kind neighbour and do it?

Does nobody care about anyone else these days?

• 3 months ago

in my state, no. but he is allowed to cut them at the fence line -- and dump the results onto your property. that said, you might want to do it yourself in order to keep your neighbor's good will [unless you've already burned that irreparably]

• ...Show all comments
    • Arcane722 months agoReport

Nah, just chuck it over the fence. Besides, he’s simply returning your property. It is your tree after all.

• Anonymous
    3 months ago

No . . . . but he is allowed to cut them at the property line.  And if you don't have the tree trimmed per his request, and a limb falls and damages his property, it isn't an "Act of God" but rather negligence on your part so you are liable for damages.

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      3 months agoReport

Merely failing to prune limbs does not automatically make any future branch-damage-event negligence, rather than an Act of God.

• 3 months ago

No. But he can cut them off up to the fence, as long as he doesn't kill the tree.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.