Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceTeaching · 2 months ago

Masters Degree?

If I have a degree in Elementary Education and I am offered the opportunity to get my masters in Teaching & Learning for free, should I do it? Please help me?

Some people are saying I shouldn’t do it, because I already have a degree in Elementary Education.

Some people are saying I should do it because it’s free.

I already have a road map of what I want to do after it and my long term career goal. Can I get advice from someone?

Favorite Answer

It might depend on how much it affects the rest of your life but, assuming you will be teaching in a public school, many districts pay more for higher degrees or multiple degrees. I would say go for it unless it would create an unreasonable hardship to do so.

• Laurie

It depends on the JOB you want. The JOB is the goal, and the education is simply the path to that goal.

If the job you want requires it, or rewards the advanced degree with increased pay, sure.

If neither are true, then no.

• ?

Does anything in your road map actually require a master in education rather than a bachelors? And can you afford it? Yes, the course is free, but you still need to pay bills, and at most you'll be able to work part time while you're studying.

You'll be much more marketable if you get you Master's Degree, and able to pick and choose among better job options. But the choice is up to you.