Ex-Wife wants me to take child to the Doctor?

She wanted mt to take our child to the Doctor on the days I had him. He has a rash that won't go away, thinking it might be yeast/fungal. I decided not to and instead went to speak to the Pharmacist and asked what he suggested. He gave me something for it. I don't think it was something that he needed to go to a Dr for as we don't have insurance and I thought a Pharmacist would be pretty knowledgeable about something like this. Every time he sneezes she take him to the Doctor, I can't afford all these Doctor visits, she's taken him 3 times in the last month and a half. Am I wrong for trusting my better judgement and talking to the Pharmacist instead. It's a rash not the flu.

Did the pharmacist recommend a product that got rid of the rash? If so, kudos to you.

I took my children, and myself, for that matter, to the Doctor as a last resort. I do take health care seriously, and that is exactly why I do not waste their time over seemingly trivial things. 

And, there are nurses at the pediatrician's office that field calls. My son got a rash and I called the doctor"'s office and was asked a few questions...one being, did I change laundry detergent recently. Yup, that was it. He was alergic to our new laundry detergent. Another time he had a dry persistent cough. After answering lots of questions, the doctor''s assistant said it was seasonal alergies. I gave my son a teaspoon of local honey every morning and the allergy disappeared. So, simple things need not constitute an office visit.

Call your child's doctor and speak to a nurse there.

Perhaps you need a new agreement drawn with your wife, stating you both split doctor bills 50%. Perhaps that will stop her from wasting the doctor's time and your money.

Typically a pharmacist will have valuable insight, and may be able to help you if the issue is not too complicated. Keep in mind, they are not a doctor, and may not be able to give you the best advice you need, but they will also tell you that so that you can make a decision as to whether you actually will need to make an appointment. I actually go to the pharmacist if I have an issue that does not need to really be seen by a doctor. That way, I am not wasting my time and the doctor's.

You are a parent too and should have say so especially when you are paying.

Yea, you can’t be bothered with trivial stuff like your kid’s health.  She should know better, you have more important things to do.  

I think you were reasonable; the pharmacist would have told you if they recommended going to the doctor. If all it is at this point is a rash with no other symptoms, I'd choose to stay away from the doctor as well unless something else develops or anti-fungal treatments don't work.

• GB

I agree, and am thankful for the NHS.

• God

The bottom line is did it work? Also, I would rather not take my child to the doctor's office.  There are lots of germs from all the sick kids.

• PR

Are the doctors even open for visits where you live? Ours have shut down, only for online "visits". You don't state the age of the child. You could try withdrawing milk from the diet, and especially if the child has any signs of loose stool. Some kids are sensitive to dairy/milk.

Of course, if the rash spreads or gets worst, then a consult with the doctor may be in order. There can be lots of reasons for a rash and the severity may be important, as well as whether the child has a temperature. 

I think it was fine to ask a pharmacist for a recommendation instead of rushing to a doctor's visit.

Most of the time, a rash is associated with an allergy and not an illness unless the child also has a fever.

You and your ex-wife need to examine any changes you have made in your home.  This would be especially true of cleaning products used for laundry or products that are used on the child's skin.  Changing brands with a young child is risky because they can develop an allergy to new products easily until they are a little older.  Each child is different.  Some children will never have product allergies while other children have sensitive skin until they are well past the toddler stage.  (sometime after the age of 3 to 5).  Some people never outgrow allergies to some things.  If you  have not changed any supplies, then look for "new and improved" on the labels.  In some cases, a company will change their formula and call it "improved" and now a child might become allergic to the new formula.

This could also be a food allergy.  If the child is very young and has been introduced to new foods, cut back on the new items until the rash is gone and then introduce new foods one at a time again to see if the rash returns.

Things like this can be challenging when parents have separated and the child passes back and forth between two homes.  You can't check on the supplies she keeps in her home so it might be hard to find out the real cause.  And there is no way to know how she will react if you suggest "allergies" to her for this rash.

I am guessing this is her first child.  New mom's tend to over react to every little thing.

Just watch for fever or signs that things are getting worse instead of better.  It can take anything from 24 hours to several days for a rash to look better.  If it is being caused by something one of you uses on the child or the child's clothes - it won't get better until that has been identified and removed.

• ?3 months agoReport

It's in the genital area, yes this is her first child. Not mine though. No fever or anything.

Go with your judgment.

Yeah I think that's fine. If the rash is all over his stomach/looks like chicken pox he might have pitea rosea, it goes away in a few weeks i had it when i was little too.