My girl's a nurse, she thinks I'm crazy for wanting to distance myself from her during this crisis what you think?

She hasn't come in contact with it, but she's in a hospital and she's staying away from her parents but thinks I'm ditching her because i'm try to stay away. 

i live with my brother who doesn't like me leaving to see her and coming back home, do I leave and stay with her or stay with my brother and wait this out

Favorite Answer

You're asking several questions here.

1.  Is it rational to limit or avoid contact with health care workers? Yes.  It is absolutely okay to choose to distance yourself.

2.  Is distancing yourself sending a message or abandonment to your girlfriend? Well, yes.  You're saying that you value your health and the health of those around you more than you value being with her and supporting her face-to-face at this time.  Again, that's fine, but you can see that you are sending that message.

3. Is it okay that your brother wants to self-quarentine your home? Yes. Again this is a personal choice.  Many people are choosing to limit or totally avoid contact with other people.  Your bother is one such person.  If neither of you has an option of living somewhere else, then you need to respect your brother's desire to not be exposed to you.

The reality is that many people are at very low risk of being exposed but any contact outside your home with anyone, let alone a hospital nurse, carries some amount of risk.  Going to the store or work, walking your dog, picking up medication or take-out all have risks.  

• Edna

I think you're crazy, if you want to ditch your girl or isolate yourself from her because she's a nurse who works in a hospital during this so-called "crisis". 

She's a NURSE, for gosh sakes; and she works in a hospital. Don't you realize she can come into contact with illnesses that are 10 times worse than coronavirus on any day that she's working; but she hasn't ever brought any of those illnesses home with her, has she? 

You can either stay with your girlfriend or you can listen to your brother and isolate yourself from her and "wait this out" - your choice. Of course, then you run the risk that, after coronavirus fades away by the early summer, your girlfriend might decide to permanently isolate herself from YOU.

• Linda

That's right!

Ya,

I would agree w/hr that you are acting

very crazy indeed & in my God's honst

Opinion don't desrv hr by your side my

Dude !! !!

.................................................................................

• Edna

If your too paranoid to deal with this, then you have no business dating a nurse.

• Janet

She's not being very rational, is she?

Stick to your decision. It is a wise one.

You either lose her as a friend, or you don't .. either way, you have no control over what she is thinking or feeling.

Stay well. By protecting yourself, you are protecting the rest of society too.

• Edna

Medical professionals know how to avoid infecting themselves or others with any sickness that one of their patients might have - and they do so every day!

• Linda

Well, you don't need to get that fanatical. I understand your concern to a point, but I'm sure she takes all manner of precautions. I think you are going overboard. So you better shake off your fears before she shakes you off and finds a nice doctor to date who doesn't mind.

Do you live together?

Do you live alone?

Are you distancing yourself from everyone or just her?

I think you're crazy for asking a question without giving any details or context. 

Grow some balls. Her parent may be at risk due to their age. You have the luxury of a nurse as a girlfriend. You don't deserve her though.

• Edna

Do NOT completely isolate yourself with your brother. If you value your girlfriend & want to keep her in your life, certainly don't isolate yourself from her.