Browsers keep freezing and mcafee won’t open?

I use Firefox on my pc, I don’t abuse it and I use an expensive form of mcafee to keep it protected. But today I have had to manually restart my laptop 7 or 8 times because Firefox keeps freezing (not responding). I figured I’d update mcafee since it is going to expire soon but that refuses to open. I switched to explorer which is not what I wanted to use and try and do it online instead and that decided to freeze too after a few minutes. I don’t think I have a virus, it runs scans daily and they always come out fine. This is just frustrating. I also checked for updates on Firefox but it’s up to date. I don’t know why two different browsers keep failing me. Help please. 

• Lv 7

sounds like hard drive data corruption.

i would run chkdsk with recovery option. it will take an hour or two, but should fix any errors it can.

if still having trouble after, uninstall McAfee AND Firefox, delete any remaining folders, and then reinstall the programs.

but do chkdsk first. otherwise, you could just be installing to a bad hard drive again.

Yoooo I’m so ******* dumb, I’ve been at this for hours and I was trying to open my old mcafee and not the new one. I system restored for hours and now so far things are running smoothly. Not sure if I’ll get freezing again but mcafee is updating lmao!! Thanks everyone! Nvm it’s freezing again ughhhh

Seems pretty clear you have malware on your computer. Browsers are failing and updates aren't happening because it doesn't want you to be able to browse for help and remedy or update your virus signatures.

Mcafee is almost worthless as an Anti-virus. Which is why no one uses it anymore. 

You need to acquire a copy of something like malwarebytes and scan your machine. You may need to boot in safe mode to do it, or get it on media from another computer.

• Abigail2 months agoReport

I’m doing a system restore to an earlier date and if that doesn’t work (it’s been about an hour and no change) I might just have to do that. I use chrome on my iPhone but have always used Firefox so it just kind of stuck that way. I really Don’t think I have malware on my dell but thank you.

soooo ur doing everything wrong. the fastest way to fix it is gonna be to save ur data and reinstall windows and use google chrome with adblock. you do not need antivirus. if u just have to have something use malwarebytes. but if u dont wanna reinstall windows u need to uninstall mcafee and firefox, get google chrome with adblock and download malwarebytes and adwcleaner and clean ur system. like i said the easiest thing to do is gonna be to save ur data and reinstall windows.

• Abigail2 months agoReport

I don’t really mind reinstalling windows if it comes to that, could you explain how that works please. I’d like to think I’m computer savvy but I’d probably be lying. 

Try downloading and run a full scan with Malwarebytes