Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingAdoption · 3 months ago

After I legally adopt embryos from another country (USA) can I have them transported to a different country (Mex) for implantation?

So I want to adopt embryos from the USA and transfer them to a Clinic in Mexico to get treated there, and during this process  I want to get IVF with my husband and have our embryos with the adopted ones, so they'll be like twins. This is because I don't want multiple pregnancies so multiple births don't matter. I want to embryos adopt because I want to give a child the chance of life and live a comfortable life as I am financially comfortable. Money is not an issue.

• LizB
    Favorite Answer

Hypothetically - yes. Embryos from one clinic can absolutely be moved by cryotank to another clinic, and I've done it myself. My husband borrowed a cryotank from our first fertility clinic for moving our last two "snowbabies," and drove them ourselves to the new clinic we were working with. One of those two embryos became my youngest child. That was only a cross-city drive, though.

As far as the logistics/legalities of moving embryos between countries when those embryos aren't even genetically yours, I couldn't begin to guess. You'd have to discuss it with both clinics involved. However, if you're able to produce viable embryos yourself, I *highly* doubt any RE is going to let you combine your own embryos with adopted embryos. There's not really any good reason for doing so, so while it's technically possible, realistically it's unlikely that you'll find clinics and doctors willing to do what you want.

Then you will have a hard time bringing the child home... if that child isn't blood-related to you and your husband.

Adoption concerns children "born alive," not fantasies.

• Melina2 months agoReport

I mean if you believe that life begins at conception. Then yes, they are real children. And if you don't then they are property.

Yes, just ship them FedEx.

Can you adopt embryos?  No.  

Can you buy embryos? Probably not.  

Can you have eggs harvested from another person? Yes. It can cost a lot, or a real lot, but that would give you the egg stock to fertilize using your husband's sperm.  

The other option would be to use your egg nucleus and implant that into the egg of the donor after removing the nucleaus of that egg donor, then fertilize the egg so that it has your genetic materials as well as your husband's genetic materials.  

Can you send eggs across the boarder to mexico, Yes if you own the eggs.  That comes after having a donor produce them for you.

However to get the terminology right watch the Nova special "18 ways to make a baby".  

• samiamrd

Wow.  Thank you for that article.  The term adoption is too loose here.  The embryos are donated, not adopted.  The IVF of an embryo will not be genetic from the husband, or wife.  It might be better to IVF from her egg and his sperm (if viable).  Still expensive, but possible.  "watch 18 ways"