Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsDiabetes · 2 months ago

Is it better to cut out breads and pasta if you've been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes?

Have you controlled your diabetes through exercise and diet. I've recently been prescribed many medications and this causes me to eat at 10 pm with one of the meds. I think that could be the reason for the elevated glucose in the mornings. ty

I do not over eat.

Favorite Answer

I control mine with diet and exercise and still eat bread and pasta but I work the carbs into daily diet and if you have to eat to take meds at 10pm speak to your doctor as this doesn't sound right, I only take metformin 3 times per day but partner also diabetic takes a lot of meds but none at 10pm

If you  have to eat that late, eat protein, not a carb-heavy meal or snack. And here's some info for you:

There are two reasons you have an elevated reading in the morning:  One is called Dawn Phenomenon. This is because your body dumps a bunch of hormones into your blood when you are ready to wake up. The other is Somogyi Syndrome, which happens when your blood sugar drops very low in the middle of the night and your liver dumps glycogen into your blood to raise it back up so you won't have a low episode. Both of these are fairly common in Type II diabetes. You can test which one is the case by taking a 3 AM reading every night (if you can).  If your reading is very low--under 70-90, you probably have Somogyi. If your reading is around 100--which is a normal, average reading for a non-diabetic,  then it's probably Dawn Phenomenon. Neither condition is really a bad thing. It's simply your body's reaction to your meds, your food intake and your schedule.

You do not have to give up bread and pasta. However, you should eat protein every time you eat carbs.  Your medication schedule is going to be different from everyone else's schedule--so don't go by what someone else is doing. 

It helps tremendously to keep a food log for a couple-three weeks, and take your readings five or six times a day to see what spikes your blood sugar, what your patterns are and what you may be able to do about adjusting it. Discuss the log and the readings with your doctor first before you adjust any medication schedule. There may be nothing you can do about high morning readings, or you may be able to bring them down. 

Overall, high readings during the day--at any time--are not what you should be focusing on--your response to the food you eat, how long it takes, and what foods spike or lower your blood sugar are. Also, your A1C is a bit more important than the individual readings. Have a good talk with your doctor and ask him or her if they are concerned about those high morning readings. 

It's a bit unrealistic to assume you will have "normal"  fasting readings as a diabetic. Some do, some don't. Type I's are vastly different from Type II's--these are two different conditons entirely. Keep to your schedule and your doctor's advice. Good luck to you!

Source(s): Vast experience

YOU DECIDE the QUANTITY of stuff you shovel in the cake hole when you take your medication.

Adjust what you consume to get your  sugar levels to a level best for you as recommended by YOUR DOCTOR.

No need to 100 % eliminate any food item. Control the QUANTITY you shovel into the cake hole.

Doctor may change the times you take your medication. Up to you to be HONEST and record WHAT you eat. WHEN you eat it. Your sugar levels at specific times and the time you take your assorted pills.

BE HONEST AND ACCURATE. A large bowl of means WHAT. My bowls are smaller than yours at home. In the commercial kitchen my bowls are much different in size than yours.

WEIGH IT MEASURE IT

NO ONE can guess the size of your glass of juice, your piece of chicken or whatever it is.

EVERYTHING COUNTS. The sauce, the gravy. the snack item, the cream in your coffee, .....

• Cammie

Better than what ?

• Tulip

You don't need a diabetes med at ten pm