promotion image of download ymail app
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 3 months ago

New army wife. ?

I’m a new army wife* my husband is currently finishing up OSUT, I’m just wondering how me moving to him will work, by the time he graduates we will have a newborn so me traveling alone with all of our stuff and our dog is kinda not an option.  

Some of my friends who are army wives say their husbands had to apply for TDY (I don’t know about that) could someone help me figure this stuff out? I don’t really want to be without my husband longer than I absolutely need to, so I’d like to be educated on this so maybe if he isn’t informed I could ask him questions and/or inform him too. 

Thank you so much.  

Any other information is also appreciated! 

8 Answers

  • Anonymous
    3 months ago
    Favorite Answer

    First thing is the news all PCSing is now STOPPED until May 11th

    So that means he will not be coming home or reporting to his new unit until after that time frame. He will be staying where he is. You can go visit him if you want but all at your own expense. With a newborn I wouldn’t advise it. 

    When he is authorized travel he can report to the unit and if in CONUS (lower 48 states) he then applies for leave, comes home and you move to the location together. He needs to go to TMO beforehand and set up movers to come pack up your things and move them to that location.  You guys just take the basics with you as you drive.  If he isn’t authorized leave then you do the drive in your vehicle with basics, the child and the dog. If far away I would consider finding out if shipping the dog is an option. Either way he will get MALT (mileage) and per diem for the travel. 

    If he gets OCONUS orders (Alaska, Hawaii and other locations outside the lower 48) you need command sponsorship first and that process can take months to go through. Korea is usually 13 months unaccompanied. 

    If you are near a post find out if Family Services is offering a class about moving, spouse life, etc... Right now though many of these things could be stopped because of restrictions.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 3 months ago

    I was an Army spouse for 11 years until my husband was medically retired. Let me give you a nickel's worth of free advice. 

    1. Get used to being without your husband A LOT. Clingy, needy wives and the Army don't mix. You have to be independent and be able to do it on your own. He cannot drop everything to come and hold your hand every time you need help. It's time to grow up and act like an adult. 

    2. Right now, all travel through the DOD is nixed. In case you hadn't heard, we have a hell of a health crisis happening worldwide these days. Stay where you are until he is settled. If he gets stationed OCONUS (which means Hawaii, Korea etc...) you have to be command sponsored to go with him. I know this because my husband's first duty station was Hawaii. Command sponsorship can take a while; it's not a quick process. 

    Any other information you desire can be found on the DOD website, DEERS etc...

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 3 months ago

    You should stay where you are until he gets his first permanent assignment. Then he can find a place to live and you can move to that location. Do not try to follow him around to his various schools before then.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 3 months ago

    if he has leave saved up, he can take leave(vacation time )

    but the military is not gonna give him time off, to hold your hand while you move

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Mrsjvb
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

    assuming he does get accompanied orders, he will have to take regular leave in order to come back to where you are and help you move.  he has to set up the move ahead of time.

    such time off is NOT guaranteed.  all expenses incurred getting him from  OSUT to home are out of pocket( they will only pay to transport him from OSUT to his duty station)  

    quite frankly, you are going to have to start getting used to doing it all alone.  he won't be able to be there every time you need assistance.  

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 3 months ago

    You are not an  army wife you are a civilian married to a Military Man

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Pat
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

    He's in the army dear.

    We're in the middle of two wars, with more to come.

    You're going to be without him A LOT.

    Get used to it.

    Quit whining.

    Grow up.

    This is NOT the place to ask important questions.

    Learn how to do your own research.

    Start here.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • John
    Lv 5
    3 months ago

    To marry a foreign national requires approval of the Commanding Officer, factoid.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.