Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelOther - Destinations · 3 months ago

How old were you when you went on vacations without parents?

I’m always worried about travel. It stressed me out to plan, and even think about. I had a whole plan of trips me and my ex were going to do, until we broke up. I worry I will regret not travelling and miss out (even though I’m only 20). Is it a big deal to not travel and just save money for a year or so? Or until I get back in a good head space. How old were you when you first started going on vacations without your family?

• Jay P

Once we reached driving age, some buddies and I would go camping over the weekends but my first real vacation without any family was the last year of high school when 6 of us went on a week long ski trip over March break to the Canadian Rockies.

I started when I was a teenager.

I never went on any vacations WITH my family, except some camping trips. My parents couldn't afford anything else with five children. Then I left home at 17 and was a little too busy(and broke) trying to support myself to be able to go many places. I was 35 before I took any real vacation except camping trips. Funny thing, I don't recall feeling like I was missing out.

Is it a big deal not to travel and just save money? Good grief. You've been spending too much time on social media and it's warping your view of how real people live. How do you suppose most people manage to travel at all? They work until they have enough money to travel. Or maybe they take the more expensive option: put the whole trip on a credit card, and work to pay it off when they come back.

It's okay to do whatever you want to do or can do. If you live a normal lifespan, you have another 60 years or so in which to travel

• bluebellbkk

If social media are making you upset, it's only because you're ALLOWING them to upset you. Switch off your phone and go out to dig in your garden  or wash the windows.

Define travel.  For example, around the time that I was sixteen, I'd go camping alone and might have fifty to a hundred miles between my home and I.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to save money, but I believe you will regret it later if you simply spend your vacations at home on your butt.  If you're nervous about going long distances, then go short distances.  Fine inexpensive things to do.  A camping trip, for example, can be dirt cheap.  Pick a city nearby to visit, or just overnight it to an attraction nearby.  Build up your courage.  The last thing you want is to get old and find yourself asking why you never bothered.

• Brian

When I was ten, I flew out to the State of Washington for 6 weeks to see an Uncle. In that 6 week, we flew down to Reno for 2 weeks. Then I flew hone all by myself. The airline will provide you with someone to look after you if you are underage.