mrh-slos asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 8 months ago

Did any historically famous people live in your tow, city, village or area. Or any major historical event occur there.?

I live in the borough of St Leonards on Sea and Hastings in East Sussex, GB. Alan Turing, who cracked the German WW2 Enigma Code, lived here for the later years of his life, after the war until his death. John Logie Baird who invented television lived in Hastings, where he invented TV in 1921.

However, the Battle of Hastings 1066, was actually fought in rural East Sussex, about 7 miles away, the village which grew up around the battle site is still called Battle.

Pearlmar, I have never heard of Babe Ruth, who was she? 

Grundoon, the sign at the boundary of our borough says Birthplace of Television'. Perhaps Baird was earlier thanFarnsworths>

• Jerome
    Favorite Answer

Too many to name them all.

I will just state 2 off the top of my head.

Thurgood Marshall and Edgar Allen Poe.

I live in the city where the NATIONAL anthem was created. And then famously defeated the British after burning the White House.

You tell me where I live?🤔

Poe left Baltimore for Richmond, Virginia in August of 1835. He never again made a home in Baltimore, but thought fondly of it and often passed through on business and to visit family and friends.

Thurgood Marshall

He was the first African American to hold the position and served for 24 years, until 1991. Marshall studied law at Howard University. As counsel to the NAACP, he utilized the judiciary to champion equality for African Americans. In 1954, he won the Brown v. Board of Education case, in which the Supreme Court ended racial segregation in public schools.

Early Life and Family

Marshall was born on July 2, 1908, in Baltimore, Maryland. His father, William Marshall, was the grandson of a slave who worked as a steward at an exclusive club, and his mother, Norma, was a kindergarten teacher.

Source(s): American forces repulsed sea and land invasions off the busy port city of Baltimore, Maryland, and killed the commander of the invading British forces. The British and Americans first met at the Battle of North Point. ... Battle of Baltimore.

--  Wilfred Burchett, the famous/infamous journalist was born and lived on Brunswick, Victoria, Australia before working overseas in many countries.; He was a War Correspondent during WW-2 covering the Pacific and was the newsman who first visited Hiroshima and wrote about the devastation. He later covered stories from the Eastern Bloc countries, the Korean War armistice (not as a war correspondent during the war), Vietnam, Cambodia etc.  He was called a communist although he never was a member of any communist party. The Australian government refused to replace his stolen passport for many years.

--  In the suburb next to Brunswick is Moonee Ponds, and the famous personality, Dame Edna Everidge was born.

William the Conquerer built Warwick Castle in 1068 and Henry de Beaumont took residence in the castle.

The boxer Randolph Turpin lived in my town. There is a statue in memory of him in my town.

Baird was one of three to invent the TV. However his, method was inferior to Philo T. Farnsworth's. I live in Niagara Falls, NY.

Yes. I was born in Baltimore and that's where Babe Ruth came from.