Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 3 months ago

I cannot motivate myself to clean my apartment. How do I motivate myself?

Favorite Answer

This is a motivation trick that's been used in behavior modification programs since the 1930s. If a task seems like it's too big, think of it as a series of tasks that you can take on one at a time, and start with something really, really easy. Cleaning - start by cleaning for 3 or 4 min and take a 5 min break. Or start by just cleaning the kitchen counters. Short breaks are good but always keep your eye on the clock. Work for slightly longer intervals. Before you know it you'll be cleaning for a half hour at a time.  

Try this when it seems that you're too tired to work. Lie on the couch, close your eyes, and get ready to work by imagining yourself working for 5 minutes. Again, think in terms of taking it step by step and starting with something really easy.

There's a depression screening test you can take online - CESD R. I have advice from experts about depression in my answers.

Just start doing it, because motivation doesn't always happen. I start projects a lot of the time whether i want to or not. Then i get into it after i've started. I have something i need to get done today - i'm not looking forward to it, but guess what? It has to be done so i'm going to make myself get started shortly.

Invite friends over. That will give you a reason and a deadline!

Turn on your favorite music, the music that pumps you up.  Crank it up, clean that pit you call an apartment.  

• Liz

LOL, you and me both!

Listen to some music and start small.

• Teva

Write a list of what needs doing, that doesn't take much effort! Smallest jobs first, then make a start. As you work through them your motivation and sense of pride will build. You don't need to do it all at once, just tick things off as you go. The key to it is to actually start 🙂

• k w

you aren't the only one.......

• hire a maid cleaning service, it might be costly, but worth it.

• LAN

I don't care if you choose to live in squaller.  If you want mold and insects to incest your home then go for it.

• Murzy

Call in a cleaning service.

I'll motivate you. you'll catch the virus if you don't 😳