promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

How to go to college if you cant afford it?

I really want to go to college. But I can't afford it. I am starting at LCC. (Lansing community college) I cant really afford a loan. And I dont think I can get financial aid because my gpa isn't high. But college isn't something I can just skip on. It's kinda necessary. 

Update:

I mean I cant afford a student loan because of I cant afford it not because of my grades.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 months ago

So get to work! 80% of college students (even higher among community college students!) work at least 20 hrs/wk during school term (full-time over summer vacation & holidays) to pay at least part of their expenses. Many teens begin earning & saving by age 12-14 to help with their future school costs. If you are too young to get a "job," there's babysitting, dog walking, lawn mowing & all sorts of "typical teen" ways to earn money. Get on it!

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 3 months ago

If you are not prepared to take out a loan and pay it back by working part-time, then you don't belong in college.

• ...Show all comments
    • John3 months agoReport

Well, if it gets you a good job, then you'll be able to afford to pay back those loans.

• 3 months ago

Meet with people in the financial aid office. Your mixing up scholarships, which are based on academic excellence, and financial aid, which is based on financial need.  If you are low inc-come you should be able to get some amount of financial aid.

• ...Show all comments
    • John3 months agoReport

If it was really that easy the FAFSA would have only one question.  There are WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more determining factors than that.  Why don't you apply and see?

• Rick
    Lv 5
    3 months ago

do a hitch in the military and Uncle Sam WILL FOOT the bill for you !!!!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Pearl
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

you might be able to get grants, loans or scholarships, i would try applying for them

• drip
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

Financial aid, government student loans and the Pell Grant is based on your parent’s annual income. In my state I believe it is until you are 26.

Apply for grants and financial aid. See what financial aid package you get and how much money you would need to pay out of pocket.  Then see if you can afford it.  Try for a work study program. Or look for a part time job off campus and take less credits per semester. 

You start paying on your loan six months after you stop attending school.  You don’t pay on it while a student attending classes.

• ...Show all comments
    • drip
      Lv 7
      3 months agoReport

You don’t know what financial aid you will get until you apply for it. 

• 3 months ago

The good thing about student loans is that as long as you are in school, they are deferred. Meaning that you do not have to pay your loans off until you are done with school. They give you 6 months after you are done with school, and then you can pay them off. By this time, it is likely that you would have a job in your field and then you can do income based payments. That's what I am doing. I'm 25 and just finishing up grad school and have never had to pay my loans just yet. However, I can afford income based payments on them now and I think it paid off. 

I recommend attending state schools and not private schools they are way cheaper. 

• ...Show all comments
    • John3 months agoReport

That's noble of you, but not particularly practical.  Take a class in financial management while you're in college.  It will make it easy.  I had no trouble paying my loans off early.

Lv 7
    3 months ago

Student loans and Pell Grants are not based on your GPA.  They are based on your financial need.

• ...Show all comments
    • John3 months agoReport

You don't have to be able to afford to pay it off today.  Repaying won't even begin until you've had time to graduate from college and find yourself a good paying job.  Then you'll be able to afford it.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.